Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 24 Apr '06 19:02
    I'm trying to decide on a sound yet super aggressive weapon to use against players rated significantly lower than me. I've narrowed down my choices to the Bishop's Gambit and the King's Gambit.

    Bishop's Gambit:

    1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4

    King's Gambit:

    1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3

    Which of these would you guys recommend?
  2. 24 Apr '06 19:05
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I'm trying to decide on a sound yet super aggressive weapon to use against players rated significantly lower than me. I've narrowed down my choices to the Bishop's Gambit and the King's Gambit.

    Bishop's Gambit:

    1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4

    King's Gambit:

    1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3

    Which of these would you guys recommend?
    Out of the 2, Knights gambit. Sometimes the bishops gambit can become messy for white after Qh4+.

    I don't recommend playing different openings against different rated players. Once in a while it is okay, if you know one particular person plays only one variation.

    I would rather stick with one opening and play it against everyone and learn it in side out.
  3. 24 Apr '06 19:44
    I would not recommend playing oponents with a significantly lower rating then you... although trampling less skilled players may increase your rating, it would not have the same effect on your skill level and therefore proivides a false rating inflation leaving you 'short of breath' in the future when facing an equally rated oponent.
  4. 24 Apr '06 20:21
    Well, on Playchess.com I have the minimum rating requirement set to 1500. I don't really want to raise that, it may take too long to find a game. I plan to play the King's Gambit sometimes when my opponent is 1500-1600.
  5. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    24 Apr '06 22:21
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Well, on Playchess.com I have the minimum rating requirement set to 1500. I don't really want to raise that, it may take too long to find a game. I plan to play the King's Gambit sometimes when my opponent is 1500-1600.
    But you don't have to win quicky, do you?
  6. 24 Apr '06 22:42
    Not any real differance between the two.
  7. 24 Apr '06 22:42
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I'm trying to decide on a sound yet super aggressive weapon to use against players rated significantly lower than me. I've narrowed down my choices to the Bishop's Gambit and the King's Gambit.

    Bishop's Gambit:

    1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4

    King's Gambit:

    1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3

    Which of these would you guys recommend?
    3.Bc4 all the time no questions asked unless you want to find your knight back on g1 after aggressive black players play g5 g4. As Bronstein said "Black can draw after 3.Bf3. Play Bc4 if you want to win" Buy Tomas Johansson's "The Fascinating King's Gambit" if you really want to play this opening.
  8. 25 Apr '06 00:36
    1.e4 e5 2.f4 ef 3.Nf3 g5 4.Bc4 g4 5.0-0 gf 6.Qxf3 is my favorite line in chess. Not sound for White of course, but there's no more beautiful opening. And it almost works.
  9. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    25 Apr '06 02:58
    Seriously guys, would Northern Lad be as high rated as he is if the Nf3 version is that bad?
  10. 25 Apr '06 03:15
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Seriously guys, would Northern Lad be as high rated as he is if the Nf3 version is that bad?
    Dont recall saying it was bad.
  11. 25 Apr '06 03:25
    Ok, I definitely want to try the Bishop opening now! But there is one problem:

    1.e4 e5
    2.f4 exf4
    3.Bc4 Qh4+
    4.Kf1 d5
    5.exd5 Bd6
    6.Nf3 Qh5
    7.Nc3 Ne7
    8.d4 O-O
    9.Ne5 Qxd1+
    10.Nxd1 *



    This seems like an unpleasant position for White. But I wonder if it's really that bad. How does it score in the databases?
  12. 25 Apr '06 03:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Ok, I definitely want to try the Bishop opening now! But there is one problem:

    1.e4 e5
    2.f4 exf4
    3.Bc4 Qh4+
    4.Kf1 d5
    5.exd5 Bd6
    6.Nf3 Qh5
    7.Nc3 Ne7
    8.d4 O-O
    9.Ne5 Qxd1+
    10.Nxd1 *

    [fen]rnb2rk1/ppp1nppp/3b4/3PN3/2BP1p2/8/PPP3PP/R1BN1K1R b - - 0 10[/fen]

    This seems like an unpleasant position for White. But I wonder if it's really that bad. How does it score in the databases?
    1.e4 e5
    2.f4 exf4
    3.Bc4 Qh4+
    4.Kf1 d5
    5.exd5?!

    Try Bxd5.
    Johansson covers this line and warns against 5.exd5
  13. 25 Apr '06 03:54 / 5 edits
    I imagine you didnt want to play Bxd5 in light of Nf6, the theory move is now Nc3

    1. e4 e5
    2. f4 exf4
    3. Bc4 d5
    4. Bxd5 Nf6
    5. Nc3 Nxd5
    6. Nxd5 g5
    7. h4 c6
    8. Nc3 g4
    9. d4 Bg7
    10. Bxf4 Qxd4
    11. Qxd4 Bxd4
    12. Nge2 Bg7

    Simacek,P - Sarakauskas,G Olomouc 2004
    White has a good game.




    1. e4 e5
    2. f4 exf4
    3. Bc4 d5
    4. Bxd5 Nf6
    5. Nc3 Bb4
    6. Nf3 Bxc3
    7. dxc3 c6
    8. Bc4 Qxd1+
    9. Kxd1 O-O
    10. Bxf4 Nxe4
    11. Re1

    Still quite good for white.




    Johansson recommended


    1. e4 e5
    2. f4 exf4
    3. Bc4 d5
    4. Bxd5 Nf6
    5. Nf3!? Nxd5
    6. exd5 Qxd5
    7. Nc3

    The theory divides here and is too large to keep giving examples, but im sure you get the idea
  14. 25 Apr '06 04:13 / 1 edit
    Troubled posting boards in the message



  15. 25 Apr '06 04:14