1. under your bed
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 12:131 edit
    I just wondered what people though the best resposes at club level were to stop/frustrate blackmar diemer gambit players getting their pet setup after pxf3 giving the open file for the rook.

Also white can transpose into it from 1.e4 which is annoying.

People can say that its 'unsound' etc but played by someone who knows it well I think its quite a tricky opening (especially in quick games) and black can find himself in big trouble if not careful.

Thanks.
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 12:31
    Do you play the french?
    1.d4 d5
    2. e4 e6

or of course
    1.d4 d5
    2. e4 c6

guess you just need to decide what you want to play.
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:25
    Try the Lemberger Counter Gambit

4. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 16:39
    To see a good listing of your options against the BDG, you can visit a site like the Open Encyclopedia of Chess Openings. This site sometimes has computer output accompanying the variations.

As for specific variations to counter the BDG, the Fort Knox variation of the French Defense, Rubinstein Variation is solid and will take the wind out of a gambiteer's sails.

Or you can just accept the gambit and choose the solid Ziegler Defense to the Blackmar-Diemer. Alternatively, the Bogoljubow Defense is also solid if you prefer to fianchetto your king's bishop.

I hope this helps!
  5. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 22:56
    'elgallo' & I have explored the BDG recently, aided by elgallo's book by Scheerer, recently published and regarded as the latest word.

I think we took the view, in common with Scheerer, that Black accepts the gambit, and plays 5...c6, treating the opening as a Caro-Kann but a pawn up. Thereafter Black plays his B to f5 (best if available) or Bg4. White has it all to prove
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 00:04
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Try the Lemberger Counter Gambit

[pgn] 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 e5 [/pgn]
    That's horrible lol, no offense

The best way to counter it is with a c6 system and White is a pawn down.
  7. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 04:41
    Originally posted by Maxacre42

neither of these
  8. Joined
    28 Jul '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 15:25
    The Lagrange countergambit. 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 e5 is the best way to play against the blackmar diemer gambit.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 May '11 18:34
    Originally posted by Maxacre42

In his book The Blackmar-Diemer Gambit Keybook, the Rev. Tim Sawyer says that statisically the Lemberger is one of Black's best defenses to the BDG. I am a BDG player, and I'm not real happy when my opponent plays the Lemberger.
  10. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    19 May '11 19:231 edit
    I'm also a BDG player and over the board I find I usually end up with a fairly even position and a lot more time on my clock after a dozen moves or so after 3. e5. Happy to play some training games if anyone wants to try out their anti-BDG systems.
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    24 May '11 08:49
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    I just wondered what people though the best resposes at club level were to stop/frustrate blackmar diemer gambit players getting their pet setup after pxf3 giving the open file for the rook.

Also white can transpose into it from 1.e4 which is annoying.

People can say that its 'unsound' etc but played by someone who knows it well I think its quite a t ...[text shortened]... specially in quick games) and black can find himself in big trouble if not careful.

Thanks.
    A game against the BDG. He owned the f-file (and my f7 square was a concern) for a while.

But against the BDG, ride it out and ultimately enjoy the extra pawn. I am not sure why he did 19.Qc7. A really nice guy, by the way.

Game 7980779
  12. Joined
    27 May '11
    Moves
    27 May '11 07:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree