Blind Chess

Blind Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
26 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
or·nate

1.Made in an intricate shape or decorated with complex patterns.
2.(of literary style) Using unusual words and complex constructions.

Why would someone make the blindfold chess even harder?
It would be stupid. Thank about it.
The post that was quoted here has been removed

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
26 Jan 12
1 edit

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
26 Jan 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
" I used to have visual dreams when I was young, but not now. "

HAL-9000 to Dr. Chandra in the film 2010 just before HAL-9000 was disconnected.

"Will I dream?"

Dr. Chandra: "I don't know."
No-one said it - that was some funny shniz

Hy-Brasil

Moves
26 Jan 12

Originally posted by yosiman
I'm interested in improving my blind chess.

Any suggestions?
I did a little of this years ago. Like GP said it was basically for showing off and I enjoyed the challenge of it.

I slept on bunk beds then. Bottom bunk. I rigged a board to the bottom side of the top bunk directly in front of my face a couple of feet above. I would visualize the pieces.

A friend of mine would be across the room sitting at a table with another board and pieces. I would call out e4 he would move the piece where he was at and I would visualize the move where I was. All the while staring at the board above. Sometimes having to physically point and touch the square with my finger. Followed by him calling out his next move and so on and so forth.

At first I would lose track after move 12 or so. We spent a lot of hours doing this where I eventually got where I could complete a game this way.

Next, I took the board away and closed my eyes. I could now very easily see the board and the pieces alike in my mind. Then we spent many hours of practicing like this until I could do it quite easily.

Then one day out comes the blind fold and you put on a little demonstration for people. Saying, "I can beat you blindfolded."
Wagers are placed, the game is played, and I'm are walking away with some new found drinking money in my pocket, while they are sitting there speechless and utterly amazed at what happened.

I admit, (as far as wagering ) I only did this with people who were not real chess players. People who thought they were good but actually sucked. Catching them in legals mate or something like that. Something quick. Not very hard to keep track of those moves.

H

Moves
26 Jan 12

Odd thing. Played a couple of poor chess playing friends. Rather than playing their normal game they tried to get. Away with things and quickly lost. My old chemistry lab boss held the Aussie record for such displays (and a Nobel prize but those are commonplace)