Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    12 Sep '07 14:46
    The following game from 1890 ended in a draw by repetition--continuous checks by the rooks. But, white has an extra pawn. Could he have done something with it?

  2. 12 Sep '07 14:53
    I do not know the solution, but for sure I would torture black here, instead of offering a draw...
  3. 12 Sep '07 15:02
    I remember reading somewhere that rook endings with an extra pawn tend to be drawn, yet they can be easily won with 2 rooks...

    so with that in mind, lets not trade the rooks...


    I would try: Rfc7+ Kd6 Rc5 R1g8 Rcb5 -- and now i dont think there is a way to prevent mate.
  4. 12 Sep '07 15:10
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I remember reading somewhere that rook endings with an extra pawn tend to be drawn, yet they can be easily won with 2 rooks...

    so with that in mind, lets not trade the rooks...


    I would try: Rfc7+ Kd6 Rc5 R1g8 Rcb5 -- and now i dont think there is a way to prevent mate.
    I think it is a bit deeper, you have to watchout for black e5 break though
  5. 12 Sep '07 15:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vipiu
    I think it is a bit deeper, you have to watchout for black e5 break though
    yep! --you posted that in the midst of me editing.....to solve problems though I often find it easier to play any old defence work out the threat, then find the better defence.



    Edit: i light of the mate attack R1g8 must be inferior to the move e5

    so...Rc5 e5 Rb6+ Kd7 [Ke7 Rc7+ Rd8 R6b7 exd5+ Kd2 1-0] Rxe6+ Kc8 Ree7

    in both of these white ends with doubled rooks on the 7th with the king trapped on the 8th - if memory serves that should mate, or win a rook.
  6. 12 Sep '07 15:27
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    yep! --you posted that in the midst of me editing.....to solve problems though I often find it easier to play any old defence work out the threat, then find the better defence.



    Edit: i light of the mate attack R1g8 must be inferior to the move e5

    so...Rc5 e5 Rb6+ Kd7 [Ke7 Rc7+ Rd8 R6b7 exd5+ Kd2 1-0] Rxe6+ Kc8 Ree7

    in both of these white end ...[text shortened]... on the 7th with the king trapped on the 8th - if memory serves that should mate, or win a rook.
    Instead of e5 or Rgg8, Ra1 seems to keep the mate threats at bay. (Rbc7 Ra6)
  7. 12 Sep '07 15:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Instead of e5 or Rgg8, Ra1 seems to keep the mate threats at bay. (Rbc7 Ra6)
    eh...here we go again


    Rfc7+ Kd6 Rc5 Ra1 Rcc6 Rg6 now white wins a pawn.
  8. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    12 Sep '07 16:02
    this game position is well known,a winning solution for white is as follows--------rbc7+ kingb5 kd2 rb1 rb7+ kc6 kc2 re1 rfc7+ kd6 rg7 rc8 kd2 rb1 f4! there are alternative black moves to each of the white moves above however each of them also lead to a white win, eventually![after the certainty of many many moves!]
  9. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    12 Sep '07 17:21
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The following game from 1890 ended in a draw by repetition--continuous checks by the rooks. But, white has an extra pawn. Could he have done something with it?

    [fen]4r3/1R3R2/2k1p3/3p4/2pP4/2P5/1P2KP2/6r1 w - - 0 45[/fen]
    I haven't looked at other replies but I reckon 1. Rb7-c7+ Kb6 2. Rc-e7 Rxe7 3. Rxe7 Rg6 4. f4 and the e5 push is blocked. White has much the better game and gets to march a pawn up the board.