1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 16:251 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    At one point (1950's-1960's), the Maroczy Bind was so feared (along with the Richter-Rauzer Attack) that Dragon players moved from the 2. Nc3 to the 2. d6 move order specifically to avoid it.

Funny how the world turns! I think it is valuable to learn both sides of the Maroczy Bind, simply because it is good for your chess. It's practically a laboratory for Hans Kmoch's Pawn Power in Chess in action.
    mmm, how can this be Leggy for 2...Nc6 does not allow the bind because of ...Qb6 in
    my mind, whereas 2....d6 does. Am i picking this up correctly, for i have been
    experimenting with my pieces and board and find that white gets into all sorts of
    difficulties when he tries to play the bind after 2...Nc6. Any help in this regard would be
    most appreciated for its been driving me mad for two days now. Just by way of
    example, check this out,

2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 17:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes, but its easier than learning squillions of theory for every new najdorf and dragon
    variation, its simply more practical and the variations you need to know in order to get
    a playable middle game are minimal, plus, its positionally and strategically sound to do
    so. Sicilian traditionally has weakness on d5 square and d6 pawn, in the dragon ...[text shortened]... its strategically sound and
    easy to play and for noobs at my level, what more can you ask for!
    It depends on what your strengths are- if you are strong at calculation than the najdorf and dragon play right into that. If you are good at planning and strategy the Bind is the way to go. At master level the Bind is playing for two outcomes but below MT. Olympus there are a lot of ways for Black to stir the pot.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 17:40
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    It depends on what your strengths are- if you are strong at calculation than the najdorf and dragon play right into that. If you are good at planning and strategy the Bind is the way to go. At master level the Bind is playing for two outcomes but below MT. Olympus there are a lot of ways for Black to stir the pot.
    yes , that is very true, however i am unlikely to be playing at master level. What about
    my point with regard to the two variations Nimzo, i cannot see how white can play the
    bind after 2...Nc6 and come away unscathed. In the 2...d6 lines this is not the case,
    black cannot use the queen to pressurise in the same way, in fact, if he tries to take
    the b pawn in 2...d6 variations, hes practically toast.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 21:32
    1) I don't know who invented the word pressurize, but s/he was no friend to the English language.

2) Why bother with Qb6? After White plays the ugly f3 either e5 or d5 should be sufficent. If we get to Qb6 then White has Nb3 or c3 as options and in my database has scored roughly 45% which is not as bad as one would have thought at first glance.

I think early f3's are almost always suspect in the Sicilian.

I'm curious though about Paul's comment, if he meant Nc6 switching to d6 then I would love to see a game from the era prior where White was able to force the Bind. I wasn't able to find any in a brief search.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 23:05

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 23:181 edit
    mmm, how can this be Leggy for 2...Nc6 does not allow the bind because of ...Qb6 in
    my mind, whereas 2....d6 does. Am i picking this up correctly, for i have been
    experimenting with my pieces and board and find that white gets into all sorts of
    difficulties when he tries to play the bind after 2...Nc6. Any help in this regard would be
    most astle kingside. im not saying its impossible, just a little unanutural} *[/pgn]
    The difference is that Black switched from 2. ... Nc6 to 2. ... d6 so that after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4 Nf6, 5. c4 can't be played.

This move order attacks white's e4 pawn, while cutting out tactics based on Nxc6 and e4-e5.

White's best way to defend the e4 pawn is to play 5. Nc3, as Nimzo5's observation about an early f3 is right on the money.

With the old move order 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4, an immediate ...Nf6 was not considered attractive due to the Nxc6 and e4-e5 idea. In the early days black would play 4. d6 followed by Nf6 and then either e6 or g6 to taste.

Either way, after 4. d6 white can play 5. c4, because the e4 pawn is not under attack.

There was a point in time where the Maroczy Bind was considered a virtual refutation of the Dragon (such that the Dragon almost disappeared from tournament praxis), so the 2. ... d6 move order was considered an important innovation.

Some of my older books refer to the 2. ... Nc6 variation as the "Classical Dragon", and the 2. ... d6 move order as the "Modern Dragon", but that distinction has faded away since the 1980's.

Nowadays we mostly see the Classical move order Dragon via 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4 d6 5. Nc3 Nf6, where Black will play 6. ... g6 after 6. Be2, while still reserving the option to play 6. ... e6 after 6. Bc4.

Of course, chess theory has evolved considerably in the last 60 years or so, and now the Accelerated Dragon is considered to be entirely acceptable. I think that has much to do with all the advances that have been made in the Symmetrical English, and the Hedgehog in particular, but that is a story for another day.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 04:081 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    The difference is that Black switched from 2. ... Nc6 to 2. ... d6 so that after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4 Nf6, 5. c4 can't be played.

This move order attacks white's e4 pawn, while cutting out tactics based on Nxc6 and e4-e5.

White's best way to defend the e4 pawn is to play 5. Nc3, as Nimzo5's observation about an early f3 is right o mmetrical English, and the Hedgehog in particular, but that is a story for another day.
    With all due respect, I dont believe you, nor Nimzo, there is nothing suspect about f3,
    its a beautiful move, the f6 Knight is now redundant, reduced to a merely defence
    piece, f3 allows c4 creating bind with easy play, did i state that enough times, easy
    play against Sicilian traditional weaknesses. No more theory! yes c4 cannot be
    played at once, but after f3!! its coming whether black likes it or not!

position after 1.e4 c5, 2.Nf3 d6, 3.d4 cxd4, 4.Nxd4 Nf6, 5.f3 and c4 is coming, with
    easy play for white!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 04:20
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    1) I don't know who invented the word pressurize, but s/he was no friend to the English language.

2) Why bother with Qb6? After White plays the ugly f3 either e5 or d5 should be sufficent. If we get to Qb6 then White has Nb3 or c3 as options and in my database has scored roughly 45% which is not as bad as one would have thought at first glance.

I thin ...[text shortened]... prior where White was able to force the Bind. I wasn't able to find any in a brief search.
    why bother with ...Qb6, because its the best move, that is why bother. I dont believe
    that f3 is suspect in any way, in fact, its positionally and strategically sound, to be
    perfectly honest. I would even go so far as to call it a beautiful move! After ...e5, the
    white knight is driven to where it want to go, ...d5 cannot be played right away, not
    unless of course you want to play with IPQ, and which Sicilian player wants that after
    six moves, nope, after any move other than, 2....Nc6, white has easy life, 2...Nc6 is the
    most challenging in my humble opinion.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 04:252 edits
    why bother with ...Qb6, because its the best move, that is why bother. I dont believe
    that f3 is suspect in any way, in fact, its positionally and strategically sound, to be
    perfectly honest. I would even go so far as to call it a beautiful move! After ...e5, the
    white knight is driven to where it want to go, ...d5 cannot be played right awa ...[text shortened]... her than, 2....Nc6, white has easy life, 2...Nc6 is the
    most challenging in my humble opinion.

What to do after this? take and black has already equalized... Nc3 and then you are saddled with an IKP.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 04:376 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    [pgn]1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.f3 d5[/pgn]

What to do after this? take and black has already equalized... Nc3 and then you are saddled with an IKP.
    you have just lost two tempi for what reason? so that white can play e5 and Bb5+,
    where will your knight go, back to f8 or find itself pinned on d7, did i say it was an
    easy way to play for white, dont get any easier than that! equalised two tempi down,
    brilliant! neeext!
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 04:45
    you have just lost two tempi for what reason? so that white can play e5 and Bb5+,
    where will your knight go, back to f8 or find itself pinned on d7, did i say it was an
    easy way to play for white, dont get any easier than that! equalised two tempi down,
    brilliant! neeext!
    ...Nd7... how about we play an unrated game?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 04:553 edits
    ...Nd7... how about we play an unrated game?
    sure but wait a little while i have enough going on at present, one tournament and about
    ten other unrated games, i would just like to say that after . . . Nd7, e6 is coming and
    if knight goes to e5 you could end up with a position like this,

with easy play for white against backward e pawn
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 04:58
    sure but wait a litle while i have enough going on at present, one tournament and about
    ten other uprated games, i would just like to say that after . . . Nd7, e6 is coming and
    if knight goes to e5 you could end up with a position like this,

[pgn] [Event "?"] [Site "?"] [Date "????.??.??"] [Round "?"] [White "?"] [Black "?"] [Result "*"] [Ply ...[text shortened]... 7 9. f4 Nec6 10. Nf3 *[/pgn]

with easy play for white against backward e pawn
    Well then i'll just throw in a Nc6 before d5. What do you do after Nc6?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 05:00
    Well then i'll just throw in a Nc6 before d5. What do you do after Nc6?
    our favourite move of course c4!!
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '11 05:24
    our favourite move of course c4!!
    Then I'd move my queen to e5 or h5 via a5 maybe or exchange knights and go for a b5 advance or fianchetto my bishop... I have a lot of options in this line and your king is stuck in the middle because castling on either side is dangerous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree