1. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 13:31
    I think WW is talking about non Maroczy Bind Dragon positions.

some stats on Robbies posted pawn structure from my database-

White won 30517 games, drew 20709, lost 21391

So 42%,29%, 29% for the percentile inclined.

Needless to say this is not endgame stats just an overview.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 13:40
    Originally posted by nimzo5

some stats on Robbies posted pawn structure from my database-

White won 30517 games, drew 20709, lost 21391

So 42%,29%, 29% for the percentile inclined.

Needless to say this is not endgame stats just an overview.
    is that good or bad?
  3. gumtree
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 13:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    is that good or bad?
    Better for white than black. However, I suspect that a lot of that is Sicilian players expecting a proper knife edge Sicilian and finding they have wandered into the English by mistake. I'd be happy as black in that position, but I wouldn't have wasted time playing cxd4. Let white work out what to do with his d-pawn.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 14:101 edit
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    Better for white than black. However, I suspect that a lot of that is Sicilian players expecting a proper knife edge Sicilian and finding they have wandered into the English by mistake. I'd be happy as black in that position, but I wouldn't have wasted time playing cxd4. Let white work out what to do with his d-pawn.
    now we are getting to the grit of the matter. What has white to worry about his d pawn
    for, its going to d4 whether black likes it or not, it supported by the queen, nothing can
    stop it, the whole reason for black playing ...c5 is to take the sting out of it, he cannot
    prevent it. We are invincible!
  5. gumtree
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 14:43
    now we are getting to the grit of the matter. What has white to worry about his d pawn
    for, its going to d4 whether black likes it or not, it supported by the queen, nothing can
    stop it, the whole reason for black playing ...c5 is to take the sting out of it, he cannot
    prevent it. We are invincible!
    But then what do you do with the d-pawn once it reaches d4? If I am not going to oblige with cxd4 what do you do with the pawn? Some play d5, lovely, that leaves a weakness behind it. Some play dxc5 and get all confused when black plays Bxc3 (if the knight has gone to c3) or Qa5+ (if the knight isn't on c3). Leaving the pawn on d4 just creates a target for g7-bishop, c6 knight and any bits that black wants to point that way. Either way, it is now white who isn't getting quite what he expected.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:12
    But then what do you do with the d-pawn once it reaches d4? If I am not going to oblige with cxd4 what do you do with the pawn? Some play d5, lovely, that leaves a weakness behind it. Some play dxc5 and get all confused when black plays Bxc3 (if the knight has gone to c3) or Qa5+ (if the knight isn't on c3). Leaving the pawn on d4 just creates a target fo ...[text shortened]... wants to point that way. Either way, it is now white who isn't getting quite what he expected.
    you are practically forced to take the d pawn after 1.e4 c5, 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4, you have practically no other good moves, 3...Nf6 fails to e5, 3...d6 or 3...e6 or 3...g6 simply allows c4. Its not really a target, white wants black to take the d pawn.
  7. gumtree
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:23
    you are practically forced to take the d pawn after 1.e4 c5, 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4, you have practically no other good moves, 3...Nf6 fails to e5, 3...d6 or 3...e6 or 3...g6 simply allows c4. Its not really a target, white wants black to take the d pawn.
    White may want black to take the d-pawn, but he is not intending to sacrifice it. He wants to get his pawn back. That is what makes it a target, we build up sufficient force to grab it and keep it. c4 is not a worry, in the position you posted and the position for which statistics were given, c4 has already happened, as have g6 and d6. Worse still, you have that pawn on f3 for some reason. Is that there to annoy your king's knight?

I wouldn't be playing your move order though. I reach a similar position by 1. e4 (or d4) g6 2. d4 (or e4) Bg7 3. Nc3 (or Nf3 or c4 or...) c5. Are you going to leave that pawn on d4 in the hope I will take it?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:411 edit
    White may want black to take the d-pawn, but he is not intending to sacrifice it. He wants to get his pawn back. That is what makes it a target, we build up sufficient force to grab it and keep it. c4 is not a worry, in the position you posted and the position for which statistics were given, c4 has already happened, as have g6 and d6. Worse still, you ha c3 (or Nf3 or c4 or...) c5. Are you going to leave that pawn on d4 in the hope I will take it?
    but this is a different monster altogether, grab it an keep it, muhaha, my man, you'll be
    roasty toasty before that happens! the pawn on f3 was there because the position
    demanded it, we cannot apply the same criteria to a completely different system, the e
    pawn was attacked by the Kings knight, anyway, now that i have busted the Dragon
    and the Najdorf, will i find a bust to your modern/pirc? using my beloved bind ? after
    my last disaster playing you, it will be my pleasure!
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:42
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    yes, exactly. normal positions.
  10. gumtree
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:46
    but this is a different monster altogether, grab it an keep it, muhaha, my man, you'll be
    roasty toasty before that happens! the pawn on f3 was there because the position
    demanded it, we cannot apply the same criteria to a completely different system, the e
    pawn was attacked by the Kings knight, anyway, now that i have busted the Dragon
    and ...[text shortened]... /pirc? using my beloved bind ? after
    my last disaster playing you, it will be my pleasure!
    Is that a request for another trouncing? If so, I'll send a game over.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:491 edit
    Is that a request for another trouncing? If so, I'll send a game over.
    my man, its not the result , but the learning experience

(yeah right, we play to win the game!) 😛

soon as i am ready youll be smokin like a kipper in the fires of hell! challenge me, put a large time bank on it (14days), so i can do my researches!
  12. gumtree
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:51
    my man, its not the result , but the learning experience

(yeah right, we play to win the game!) 😛

soon as i am ready youll be smokin like a kipper in the fires of hell!
    I prefer Dante's vision of hell. Ice cold with added ice.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:53
    I prefer Dante's vision of hell. Ice cold with added ice.
    LOL, youll be iced for sure, dont worry! 😛
  14. gumtree
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 15:54
    LOL, youll be iced for sure, dont worry! 😛
    So you ready now? Finished painting yer nails and adjusting yer corsets?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 16:00
    So you ready now? Finished painting yer nails and adjusting yer corsets?
    Yup i put on my high heeled sneekers, you know the routine, pistols at dawn!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree