1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 14:411 edit
    30 minutes of CTS daily then
    3 "slow" puzzles then
    3 blitz games (5' or 3' + 2'' increment per player)

(On a daily basis)

When you lose, look where did you make a mistake, if you went in inferior position in the opening, try to figure out why, then check opening database and find the right reply in the variation.

Could that be enough to make my blitz significantly better within a year ?

Of course, learning slow OTB/correspodence chess would be done separately.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 15:01
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    30 minutes of CTS daily then
    3 "slow" puzzles then
    3 blitz games (5' or 3' + 2'' increment per player)

(On a daily basis)

When you lose, look where did you make a mistake, if you went in inferior position in the opening, try to figure out why, then check opening database and find the right reply in the variation.

Could that be enough to make my b ...[text shortened]... in a year ?

Of course, learning slow OTB/correspodence chess would be done separately.
    Anyone that has an hour per day for blitz and blitz training that cannot improve by this method is either already good, or not the sharpest knife in the block.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 15:04
    I'm in no position to advice anyone on blitz, but if you're on ICC there's a new 60min video lecture on improving on blitz, by the blitz god jorge sammour-hasbun (aka. NECF-InSchools). the guy doesn't even have a title I think, but he's just slaughtering GMs left and right in blitz. (and yeah, it's been made sure that he's legit - ICC sent a guy to physically observe him play in a tournament, and he still beat everybody.)

no easy answers there though, but one thing that stuck with me was that "the only time you should need to think is in middle game." -the beef being that you should know your openings without thinking, as well as all the endgames.

makes sense. I definitely know only an extremely small portion of my openings that well, and practically none of the endings. which is what I'm working on right now. can't hurt slow play either.
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 16:55
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Anyone that has an hour per day for blitz and blitz training that cannot improve by this method is either already good, or not the sharpest knife in the block.
    Well, I didn't try that systematically before so I can't know what to expect. Altough when I played OTB chess this summer on a beach constantly, I noticed dramatic improvement / increase of thinking speed and accuracy. I can not play at that level anymore though and currently I don't have anyone to play OTB blitz with so I am trying to find alternative method to sharp myself in the most effective way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree