1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 20:17
    Don't know whether something similar has been posted but please post some of those games that were completely obliterated by one silly little move...perhaps with an explanation of what you were thinking at the time πŸ˜‰

Can't post yet because of the several games where I have indeed screwed up I'm still trying to survive them)
  2. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 21:12
    Game 2230976

12.Ng6?? I was thinking about winning the exchange of course, but overlooked the obvious mating threat on f2. 😳

After that I thought perhaps I might get back in it by attacking his (trapped?) queen with my rooks and queen and/or getting an attack going on the king if the queen escaped--perhaps finding a way to sac a rook or two and get a draw by perpetual check with the queen. My opponent wasn't having any of it though. I thought he put on a nice display of defending the queen with his bishop.
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 04:35
    Here's a good one. Game 2572073 Actually there's at least a couple gigantic blunders in this one, but missing the mate threat at the end was a killer. Funny thing is, I had seen it earlier and then forgot about it in my eagerness to push my attack. Sheesh.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 08:55
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Funny thing is, I had seen it earlier and then forgot about it in my eagerness to push my attack. Sheesh.
    I have done this - seeing a threat and then later, sometimes on the same move, forgetting about it - several times. 😳 I have become a little better at using my notebook lately.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 13:192 edits
    I'm on a roll so far 😳 made this one about an hour ago
    Game 2643279
    My reasoning?...wanted to dissolve some of the tension and figured I might get myself a pawn...spotted his mate *immediately* after submitting the move (and had been keeping em peeled earlier days beforehand) πŸ™ I should probably have moved my queen to g6 as I'd thought of before hand but decided that NxB was way better πŸ™„
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 13:24
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I'm on a roll so far 😳 made this one about an hour ago
    Game 2643279
    My reasoning?...wanted to dissolve some of the tension and figured I might get myself a pawn...spotted his mate *immediately* after submitting the move πŸ™ I should probably have moved my queen to g6 as I'd thought of before hand but decided that NxB was way better πŸ™„
    One of the things I check when I'm considering moves is how the lines (ranks, files or diagonals) that the piece is currently sitting on will be changed after I move it.

If you had done that in this case you would have instantly realised that the critical a8-h1 diagonal would be opened up when you moved your knight.

I also check the lines of the square the piece is moving to in case I'm blocking one of my pieces in (a bad thing) or restricting the scope of one of my opponent's pieces (a good thing).
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 13:24
    My last move. Fancied playing Nd4 but forgot my previos move had been to protect my (now unprotected) N on f7 with his consequent forced mate.

Saw it as I hovered over submit move but too late to stop it so resigned before he had a chance to embarrass me further.

Game 2277051
  8. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 13:41
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    My last move. Fancied playing Nd4 but forgot my previos move had been to protect my (now unprotected) N on f7 with his consequent forced mate.

Saw it as I hovered over submit move but too late to stop it so resigned before he had a chance to embarrass me further.

Game 2277051
    Sometimes I think that there should be a fake submit button. Then we could press that one and get that burst of chess vision before it was too late!
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 14:062 edits
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Sometimes I think that there should be a fake submit button. Then we could press that one and get that burst of chess vision before it was too late!
    hehe...yeah!...perhaps with a random (& unknown to the person that submitted) count-down such that by making that ahem... *winning move* you never fail to experience that gut wrenching feeling of shame and humiliation immediately afterwards πŸ˜€
  10. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 14:10
    hehe...yeah!...perhaps with a random (& unknown to the person that submitted) count-down such that by making that ahem... [b]*winning move* you never fail to experience that gut wrenching feeling of shame and humiliation immediately afterwards πŸ˜€[/b]
    One way to get round this is to put in your notebook the move you intend to make. Look at the position again and then make the move after seeing the possible responses. Do this on every move, even ones where you think the move is "obvious". Surprising how many blunders it avoids. πŸ™‚
  11. Joined
    23 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 16:57
    Originally posted by lausey
    One way to get round this is to put in your notebook the move you intend to make. Look at the position again and then make the move after seeing the possible responses. Do this on every move, even ones where you think the move is "obvious". Surprising how many blunders it avoids. πŸ™‚
    I *JUST* started doing this because of the last game I lost... didn't realize his next move was a checkmate it was so sneaky.
  12. MontrΓ©al, QuΓ©bec
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 18:121 edit
    Game 2699935 πŸ™
  13. USA
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 21:58
    Don't know whether something similar has been posted but please post some of those games that were completely obliterated by one silly little move...perhaps with an explanation of what you were thinking at the time πŸ˜‰

Can't post yet because of the several games where I have indeed screwed up I'm still trying to survive them)
    If I had to post a game with a silly blunder, well... I'd have to post every game! :-D
  14. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 22:06
    Game 2436683

As for what I was thinking ... apparently I was not.
  15. USA
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 22:46
    Here's one of my OTB gems

White: Opponent (729)
    Black: Me(1231) (at the time)

1.e4 c5
    2.Nc3 Nc6
    3. Bb5 Qc7
    4.Nd5 Qb6??
    5.Nxb6

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree