1. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 17:23
    Hey everyone. Just wanted opinions of people that are players of this opening for Black against d4. I prefer it over the Kings Indian, and Queen's Gambit, perhaps because of Bc4 more than anything. Also, do you beleive this is an opening to use against higher rated players, or is it considered weak amongst A and Master?
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 18:081 edit
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Hey everyone. Just wanted opinions of people that are players of this opening for Black against d4. I prefer it over the Kings Indian, and Queen's Gambit, perhaps because of Bc4 more than anything. Also, do you beleive this is an opening to use against higher rated players, or is it considered weak amongst A and Master?
    I think its not bad opening for black.
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 18:17
    GMs play it, so I'm sure it's sound against higher rated players. I just don't like it, and it is in fact the reason I gave up on the nimzo.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 00:271 edit
    It's sound and recommended by GM Roman D, Roman Lab Dvd, for Black against 1.d4 . I started playing it after watching the video and it's great. Easy to learn and pretty solid. It is drawish as you get higher up so if you are looking for something fiesty against higher rated players looks elsewhere.

I play Nizmo/Bogo
  5. Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:20
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_bits_pieces/040731_bogo-indian.html
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:40
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    It seems fine at all levels, I personally play a King's Indian

why did you choose this over the Queen's Indian btw (just curious). I'll assume that you also play the Nimzo-Indian and like the similarities to the Bogo?
  7. Under Cover
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 05:53
    Originally posted by YUG0slav

why did you choose this over the Queen's Indian btw (just curious). I'll assume that you also play the Nimzo-Indian and like the similarities to the Bogo?
    I play 1. d4, and when my opponents go with Nf6 and e6 I play Nf3 hoping for a Bogo Indian. Usually, they play a Queen's Indian though, and I really am not very happy with those positions from white's perspective. I just have a difficult time coming up with any sort of concrete plan usually. Any tips on how to avoid this pitfall (aside from abandoning 1.d4)?
  8. Standard memberEveRyDay
    my pimp hand's strng
    kinda like my homies
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 06:07
    You can't really avoid the Queens Indian. It's rather a build than just an opening line. Even in the Bogo if your answer is Nbd2 black can go b6 right away. And even in the Nimzo black can play b6 easily. There'll always be a line you don't like to play no matter how tricky and elusive you are. There are a few tips that could help you though.
    Try virtually/literally every possible answer for the line you don't like.
    For example against the Queens Indian try the e3 and a3 lines both - and I strongly recommend you trying to fianchetto your own bishop on g2 after playing g3.
    Another good try could be playing the opening you don't like with the opposite colour. It would give you more insight as to what you can expect and what you can play for. If you know the main plans and have some ideas of your own it will be easier to answer to them.
    I used the first method against ther Caro with white as it was hard for me to find out which build I want to play. I literally tried every main and sideline and was able to come up with some fine ideas.
    And I use the later tip everytime I play something I usually don't. It's different on higher levels, though - where you should really have to know every opening and plans to profit from them in similar or almost similar positions.
    Hope it helped some!
    Take Care,
    Ry
  9. Under Cover
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 06:17
    Originally posted by EveRyDay
    You can't really avoid the Queens Indian. It's rather a build than just an opening line. Even in the Bogo if your answer is Nbd2 black can go b6 right away. And even in the Nimzo black can play b6 easily. There'll always be a line you don't like to play no matter how tricky and elusive you are. There are a few tips that could help you though.
    Try virtuall ...[text shortened]... from them in similar or almost similar positions.
    Hope it helped some!
    Take Care,
    Ry
    Ye, it was a helpful post. Thank you. I suppose I'll have to open the databases and do a little work then.
  10. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 15:29
    Originally posted by YUG0slav

Frankly, the Queen's Indian is not something I have looked into. I usually play the Nimzo or King's Indian against d4, but sometimes venture into QG. You are correct, though reverse, I play the Bogo, because of it's similarities to the Nimzo 🙂
  11. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 15:30
    Thanks to everyone for their opinions and insight.
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 04:23
    Nimzo AND KID? That seems a bit excessive don't you think?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree