1. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 13:26
    Heya All,

Can anyone recommend a book that is similar in 'format' to this book? The 1st chess book I ever read/owned and still my fav for the 'methodology' of teaching. Anything else like it?

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 15:36
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Heya All,

Can anyone recommend a book that is similar in 'format' to this book? The 1st chess book I ever read/owned and still my fav for the 'methodology' of teaching. Anything else like it?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "format". I'm not aware of any other books that you flip over when you're half done, or any other books that avoid the use of notation. But I don't consider those features to be advantages in chess book formatting. (Yeah, it's nice to have the answer on the next page instead of having to flip to the back of the book, but it's not really that important.) If by "format", you mean tactics, there's plenty of good tactics books out there.

I thought BFTC was OK as a beginner book, but nothing special. Sorry.
  3. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 16:19
    By format I meant large # of exercises/tests and what I felt succinct explanations for various concepts and idea. As for beginners book, well I still consider myself one so that must be why I like it :-)
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 16:49
    By format I meant large # of exercises/tests and what I felt succinct explanations for various concepts and idea. As for beginners book, well I still consider myself one so that must be why I like it :-)
    Yeah, I'm still pretty much a beginner - I could probably stand to read it again as a refresher. From what I remember, it has lots of back-rank mates. And a handful of more difficult positions.
  5. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 17:09
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Yeah, I'm still pretty much a beginner - I could probably stand to read it again as a refresher. From what I remember, it has lots of back-rank mates. And a handful of more difficult positions.
    I have that book too. Picked it up at a thrift store for 25 cents. It definitely has the back rank mates down pretty well. It was a good book to go through as a beginner, before I knew those types of mates existed. The format is nice too, a quick read and you learn all the basic concepts for those mating combinations. I'm surprised more chess books aren't written that way, with the answers on the next page. Seems like a pretty good idea, but I haven't seen anything else like it. 🙁
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 22:42
    Heya All,

Thanks,
    Steve
    Try looking at 'Winnng Chess' by Chernev. Great book in my opinion. Problems on one page and answers on the next page with just the right amount of explanation. One of the first chess books I ever owned and still enjoy going through it.
  7. USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:09
    Heya All,

Thanks,
    Steve
    The second volume of the Comprehensive Chess Course by Alburt seems to suit what you're looking for.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree