1. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    02 May '06 17:35
    Hi

I have just started learning chess again after quite a break,can anyone reccomend a good book for a beginner on chess endings?
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 May '06 19:342 edits
    Bruce Pandolfini's endgame course is excellent as a start though it has a number of typo's. (there is an errata on the web if you search).

Also Winning Chess Endings by Seirawan is a good follow up.
  3. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 May '06 19:48
    If you go to page 3 of the Chess Forum, you find a thread called "Must have chess books" (sorry don't know how to cut&paste thread links) where you'll e.g. find this:

Title: Basic Chess Endings
    Author: Reuben Fine
    This is the Bible for chess endgames. Every conceivable endgame that could ever arise is analyzed by a superb GM. It will take you months, even years to read and understand this book. Although tedious work, your effort will be rewarded by this book. Only drawback: It's in descriptive notation. All other efforts since this endgame study have been basically to condense the knowledge in this book.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 May '06 05:251 edit
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    Hi

I have just started learning chess again after quite a break,can anyone reccomend a good book for a beginner on chess endings?
    Practical Chess Endings by Paul Keres
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 May '06 06:24
    I really like Just the Facts! 2ED but I haven't used any other source.
  6. Under Cover
    Moves
    03 May '06 13:55
    Here is a list of the top 10 endgame books available, ranked in order of their quality as an instructional tool:

1. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    2. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    3. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    4. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    5. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    6. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    7. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    8. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    9. Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
    10.Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual

There are probably a few good one's out there that I missed though

😉
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 May '06 14:52
    Originally posted by BLReid
    Here is a list of the top 10 endgame books available, ranked in order of their quality as an instructional tool:

8. Dvoretsky's Endga ...[text shortened]... e Manual

😉
    Disclaimer: you must be ready to work if you wish to get anything out of Dvoretsky's manual. If your really want "just the basics" Pandolfinis book is ok. Also alright (was great when I was 15 and just starting out) is

Grandmaster Secrets/Endings by Soltis. My brother lost it, but I do know it covers both the Phildor and Lucena positions (crucial endgame Rook + pawn positions) in an easy to understand manner.

Here is Silmans review
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_js/js_grandmaster_secrets_end.html
  8. Standard member33moves
    4th stooge
    anytown, USA
    Moves
    04 May '06 15:07
    The one of several that I have on endings, that is fantastic, and very easy to study is Winning Chess Endgames- JUST THE FACTS! 2nd ed. by Lev Alburt and Nikolay Krogius. It has made a consistant and happy endgame student out of me, and I used to hate and avoid studying the endgame!
  9. Big D
    Moves
    04 May '06 15:09
    "Chess Endings: Essential Knowlede," by Yuri Averbakh is considered the classic primer on the endings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1857440226/104-6860442-8741547?v=glance&n=283155
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 May '06 13:521 edit
    Originally posted by BLReid

8. Dvoretsky's Endga e Manual

😉
    You left out School of Chess Excellence 1: Endgame Analysis by Mark Dvoretsky and Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, 2nd edition, which reputedly adds some 20 pages covering new theory on rook endings to the original text.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '06 22:521 edit
    Here's a book that got me on the path to righteousness.

Capablanca's Chess Fundamentals. Don't laugh, it's got some good stuff. Here's a review.

J.R. Capablanca was a World Chess Champion and one of the greatest players in chess history, yet he wrote very little about the game. Chess Fundamentals, though normally for the beginning player, contains valuable insights that will benefit players at all levels of understanding, including masters
  12. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    07 May '06 14:34
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    Here's a book that got me on the path to righteousness.

Capablanca's Chess Fundamentals. Don't laugh, it's got some good stuff. Here's a review.

J.R. Capablanca was a World Chess Champion and one of the greatest players in chess history, yet he wrote very little about the game. Chess Fundamentals, though normally for the beginning player, contai ...[text shortened]... luable insights that will benefit players at all levels of understanding, including masters
    Capa was the greatest endgame player of all time. Period. Any book of his games would be instructional.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 May '06 19:16
    Capablanca's 60 best endgames by chernev is good, althouhg more as a collection of endgames for study, rather than a guide.

As an opening guide. I prefer Fundamental chess endings (i think, forgotten its name- not read it whilst studying for exams!) by two german authors, whose names also escape me (memorable book!)
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    08 May '06 02:46
    Originally posted by zebano
    Disclaimer: you must be ready to work if you wish to get anything out of Dvoretsky's manual. If your really want "just the basics" Pandolfinis book is ok. Also alright (was great when I was 15 and just starting out) is

Grandmaster Secrets/Endings by Soltis. My brother lost it, but I do know it covers both the Phildor and Lucena positions (crucial endgam ...[text shortened]... s Silmans review
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_js/js_grandmaster_secrets_end.html
    Silman and his colleagues have put together alot of quality reviews on that site. Here is Silman's take on the Dvoretsky book.

http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_js/js_dvrskys_endgm_mnl.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree