1. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 21:20
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Winning with the Modern by GM David Norwood is one of my favorite chess books. He's a very good writer, and he played the Modern exclusively (I think) for about a decade before he wrote the book. The book is also very honest (unlike most repertoire books). If a line that he recommends is looking a bit shaky for Black, he tells you that up fr ...[text shortened]... ysis that's what you'll find. If Black is slighlty worse off, Norwood will tell you so.
    Hey gaychessplayer dude, it might have been your illustrious self that advocated this book, if so i aplogise to Paul and thankyou, really, what an awesome recommendation!
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 21:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Hey gaychessplayer dude, it might have been your illustrious self that advocated this book, if so i aplogise to Paul and thankyou, really, what an awesome recommendation!
    I'm glad you like to book so far.

BTW, I bet you didn't know that David Norwood sends me a check for $10 every time I recommend his book on a message board. 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 21:25
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I'm glad you like to book so far.

BTW, I bet you didn't know that David Norwood sends me a check for $10 every time I recommend his book on a message board. 🙂
    lol, he must be running at a loss, the book itself was barely ten bucks but worth every cent/penny!
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 09:021 edit
    Originally posted by hatfinch
    Hi,

I'm thirty two years old, and though I played a little chess at school with friends I never really got interested in it until I found this site a couple of years ago. I decided to get as good as I could without reading any chess theory, just by trying to work everything out from first principles. I seem to have reached my ceiling just short of 1500. anyone have any recommendations? Preferably in print in the UK.

Thanks in advance,
    Hamish
    I would suggest. "My System" by Aaron Nimzovich. I'd recommend this one to anyone under 1800
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 21:52
    Thank you all very much for your responses! I look forward to reading some of your recommendations soon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree