1. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 20:02
    I have taken it upon myself to learn AND STICK WITH (!!!!) the KID, KIA, and Pirc

Is there any good books you can recommend me to buy?
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 20:14
    Play the King's Indian by Joe Gallagher is absolutely awesome. Angus Dunnington has a 2nd edition of a book on the KIA, and Pirc Alert!, by Alburt is probably the best book on Understanding and playing the Pirc, although the chapter on the classical variation gives bad lines. They were fine at the time, now they're not. So maybe get a newer book to update the theory, but Pirc Alert! has a substantial amount of material on understanding the ideas and structures of the opening. Also, Mikhail Golubev has a recent book out called "Understanding the King's Indian", also very good. Gallagher and Golubev are not only experts on the KID, but they played it themselves alot, so it's good to know they stand behind what they write.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 20:25
    Cool, thanks tony. I have already got "Play the Kings Indian" by Joe Gallacher. One problem I have with it is that there is so many lines and not much of "Here blacks should try to play x move because it does this and that".

I will definetly look into the other books though!

Thanks
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 21:06
    I find Joe Gallaghers book just about right as far as prose goes. Just know that the KID is much sharper than the KIA, and even though you may be choosing them because they are similiar piece placements, know that they are quite different in practice, and that in most KID books, the theory is so dense in some variations that there isn't alot of room for prose. 😀
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 00:58
    I use the King's Indian Attack all the time and it seems like there is much much much less theory on it than the KID, so consequently I've never bought a KIA book, as I have never really needed it...
  6. Simmesport, LA, USA
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 13:51
    Joe Gallagher has two books on the KID - Play the King's Indian and Starting Out: The King's Indian. The Starting Out one is easier to read with far less variations. Sounds like you're using the Seirawan recommended repertoire of Winning Chess Openings.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 17:27
    Originally posted by jovy1097
    Joe Gallagher has two books on the KID - Play the King's Indian and Starting Out: The King's Indian. The Starting Out one is easier to read with far less variations. Sounds like you're using the Seirawan recommended repertoire of Winning Chess Openings.
    Haha yep, I am following Seirawins recommendations.

I have just bought SOKID from Amazon. Thanks for the help all!
  8. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 19:43
    Do a database search for KIA games in which Fischer had White and won. That's where I learned some interesting lines.
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 00:20
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Do a database search for KIA games in which Fischer had White and won. That's where I learned some interesting lines.
    ditto!

heck, I would say look at the ones he loses too
  10. USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 21:48
    I heard Pirc Alert was a pretty good book.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 16:251 edit
    Originally posted by Kings Indian FTW
    I have taken it upon myself to learn AND STICK WITH (!!!!) the KID, KIA, and Pirc

Is there any good books you can recommend me to buy?
    I just purchased "Bronstein on the King's Indian", and so far it is a very good book. The first part of the book deals with the general strategy of the opening, while the rest of the book contains complete games. (Unfortunately, most of the complete games are not annotated.)

I also recently purchased "The Pirc Defense" by Chernin and Cartier. Haven't looked at it yet.

The advantage of the above books is that they are written by players who actually employ the openings they are discussing!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree