1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 05:272 edits
    http://chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009997/the-show-goes-on-ivanov-in-kustendil-030613.aspx

Brilliant player or the R J Hinds of OTB chess?

According to the video analysis by Valeri Lilov, Ivanov's moves matched Houdini 99% of the time.
  2. Joined
    29 Aug '12
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 05:59
    lol. Sounds like Ivanov and RJ Hinds are good friends. I personally think 99% is too high. Not a likely coincidence...
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 10:20
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009997/the-show-goes-on-ivanov-in-kustendil-030613.aspx

Brilliant player or the R J Hinds of OTB chess?

According to the video analysis by Valeri Lilov, Ivanov's moves matched Houdini 99% of the time.
    I keep hearing about this guy, the analysis of his games does look rather damning. From what i've seen and read, i tend to agree that he must be using an engine, some of his wins earlier in the year were just stunning! Too stunning in fact. The question is, how is he doing it? He must have come up with quite a system because all eyes are on him these days.

It makes me wonder actually. Now we have all these new technologies like Google glass and various contact lenses that you can operate without using your hands. How are chess tournaments going to deal with stuff like that? I can't help feeling that this case is simply the first of many..
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 12:382 edits
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I keep hearing about this guy, the analysis of his games does look rather damning. From what i've seen and read, i tend to agree that he must be using an engine, some of his wins earlier in the year were just stunning! Too stunning in fact. The question is, how is he doing it? He must have come up with quite a system because all eyes are on him these day ...[text shortened]... o deal with stuff like that? I can't help feeling that this case is simply the first of many..
    yes, he has a system that as yet no one has discovered, with nano technology, this type of thing was almost inevitable, put him in a room that cannot receive or transmit radio signals and you will see that his rating drop back to the 1900's where he belongs. The fact that he does it and is getting away with it is the really amazing thing. Last tournament the players arranged it so that he could not take any winnings from the tournament by forfeiting their games against him, three forfeits and he could not receive any prize money even after winning.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 23:301 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes, he has a system that as yet no one has discovered, with nano technology, this type of thing was almost inevitable, put him in a room that cannot receive or transmit radio signals and you will see that his rating drop back to the 1900's where he belongs. The fact that he does it and is getting away with it is the really amazing thing. Last tour ...[text shortened]... games against him, three forfeits and he could not receive any prize money even after winning.
    I'd love to hide an RF jammer in my chess clock and see if I could pull off a 'major upset' against that guy. 😉
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 00:041 edit
    if a line is sharp its quite possible to match a computer - rjs computer matches my saitek exactly for 15-20 moves in the Petrov - was houdini cheating and using a saitek?? 🙂
  7. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 00:52
    Originally posted by e4chris
    if a line is sharp its quite possible to match a computer - rjs computer matches my saitek exactly for 15-20 moves in the Petrov - was houdini cheating and using a saitek?? 🙂
    a class 'C' OTB player has little to no chance of matching the tactics of an engine. Maybe one lucky time out of 50 games but not on a regular basis.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 07:11
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I would think if a line is sharp, the imperfect tactics of the human player will be exposed.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 07:54
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I'd love to hide an RF jammer in my chess clock and see if I could pull off a 'major upset' against that guy. 😉
    psssssss, yes, check out secret agent magazine, it suggests various methods, like playing in a Farady cage.

http://secretagentmagazine.com/how-to/CellPhoneJamming.htm
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 10:48
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You may be on to something. I'd buy a clock from you.
  11. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 06:262 edits
    I'd like to see Ivanov in a post game analysis of his games like they did at the candidates and other super tournaments. Listening to him rattle off variations like Nakamura and other GM's in the press room would be interesting. Or just put him at an analysis board and explain his ideas and what he had planned against other possible opponent responses.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:24
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    You may be on to something. I'd buy a clock from you.
    Seriously, I should do that. Something as durable but more user-friendly than the Chronos clock, with hidden anti-cheat countermeasures. Maybe even a low-level EMP in case the jammer can't nix whatever strange frequency they are using. Of course, how to detonate the EMP without destroying the clock itself will be a design challenge. 🙂
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:26
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I'd like to see Ivanov in a post game analysis of his games like they did at the candidates and other super tournaments. Listening to him rattle off variations like Nakamura and other GM's in the press room would be interesting. Or just put him at an analysis board and explain his ideas and what he had planned against other possible opponent responses.
    "If he played his N back to e8, I was going to play Qg5 which is +6.54, and if he tries pawn takes that's a real boner because then simply Kh1 is +9.8 (what a n00b)."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree