Bots

Standard memberPeac
Only Chess 26 Oct '20 21:36
  1. Joined
    16 May '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 21:36
    How can you know if you are playing a bot on this site?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 23:17
    Such questions are taboo around here.
  3. Standard memberCheesemaster
    😏
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 01:52
    @peac said
    You're 1300
    I wouldn't worry about it.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 05:07
    @peac said
    It's pretty unlikely in opponents rated less than 2,200 - although you need to check their rating graph as the last engine I played had resigned a ton of games and had a rating around 1,500; down from 2,300+. The big clue was when he told me he'd been banned from tournaments. He played joke openings and then won easily.

The only way to tell is to download a sample of their games against strong opponents and analyse them using an engine. Then see how frequently their moves match one of the top four engine moves. Numbers in excess of 75% for first choice might be considered a smoking gun. See page 2 of Thread 169171 for a demonstration of how to do it.

There's an interesting article in the free preview of August's edition of Chess about detection of engine cheats and what the standard of proof required is.

If you've proved to your own satisfaction that an opponent is cheating I suggest using the "Block Players" feature which will prevent them from accepting your open invites or sending you PMs.
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 11:261 edit

Removed by poster

6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 01:14
    @DeepThought
    King best post this year thus farπŸ‘πŸš¬
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 12:45
    @peac said
    You can't be 100% sure, but IMO this site makes a good effort to delete those caught using Bots. All I can suggest is to accept the fact that this will happen sometimes, and to evaluate your finished games, and try to learn from them, no matter who you're playing against.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree