Originally posted by BETTATHENU
    sadasdka;sdlasd
    Exactly!
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '11 21:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes a direct history until Fischer told him where to get off!
    That's an interesting way to spell "had a hissy fit"...

Richard
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '11 22:071 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    That's an interesting way to spell "had a hissy fit"...

Richard
    Well, Fischer was betrayed, how would you like him to have taken it, thank very much Mr Brady, making money from my name despite the fact that you have written and published something entirely objectionable about me, we remain best of friends? No way, Fischer was correct, here is your stop Brady, time to get off! Look at the title of this latest effort to make money from Fischers name, entitled ' decent into madness', I mean couldn't he think of something else? Every Fischer fan should boycott this book on principle!
  4. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 02:271 edit
    Look at the title of this latest effort to make money from Fischers name, entitled ' decent into madness', I mean couldn't he think of something else? Every Fischer fan should boycott this book on principle!
    Because Fischer was such an exemplary model of sanity?

Descent into madness sounds like a pretty accurate description to me. Catchy too and to try to generate real market attention to chess years after Fischer did anything remotely interesting is quite a feat.

Speaking of madness: every bit of evidence suggests that Fischer regarded Karpov as a fake champion. But champions don't duck challenges: at least everyone who took the title from Botvinnik and then lost it right back the next match didn't run away like a coward or a crazy person. Personally, I think its a kindness to call Fischer mad rather than just a punk too scared to take a stand. I truly think Karpov would have destroyed him.

And I think if Spassky hadn't been such a gentleman and accommodated Fischer's crazy demands, that Spassky might have been able to play like himself and work Fischer over. Who knows?

Fischer seems like a total baby. I mean sure he played great chess, but what a waste of a life. I think he missed out on everything that was worthwhile in life except chess.

Just my opinions though. I know there is a lot of love for Fischer. I just don't get it. I admire players who live full lives, not just for chess. Plus the best parts of My 60 Memorable games weren't even written by him!
  5. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 04:01
    Originally posted by emperor31

Speaking of madness: every bit of evidence suggests that Fischer regarded Karpov as a fake champion. But champions don't duck challenges: at least everyone who took the title from Botvinnik and then lost it right back the next match didn't run away like a coward or a crazy person. Personally, I think its a kindness to call Fischer mad rather than just a punk too scared to take a stand. I truly think Karpov would have destroyed him.

Being the best means proving your the best. I think in his heart the boy knew he was no match for Karpov, let alone Kasparov later.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 09:413 edits
    Because Fischer was such an exemplary model of sanity?

Descent into madness sounds like a pretty accurate description to me. Catchy too and to try to generate real market attention to chess years after Fischer did anything remotely interesting is quite a feat.

Speaking of madness: every bit of evidence suggests that Fischer regarded Karpov as a fake just for chess. Plus the best parts of My 60 Memorable games weren't even written by him!
    Soooo now we are all armchair psychiatrists, interesting phenomena indeed. Generate real market interest, dont you really mean, make money from Fischers name. I resent that remark, Fischer has done more in his lifetime to generate 'real market interest', in chess than any other chess player, any other! Indeed many persons took up the noble games because of the interest that Fischer generated!

The rest of these disparaging and inflammatory remarks do not merit a serious response, they are, as you correctly state, mere unsubstantiated opinion and pure speculation.

Brady was a fast and false friend, Fischer told him where to get off and good riddance to him.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 09:525 edits
    Fischer was da man! Fischer played, 'honest chess', Karpov and Kasparov were mamas boys! especially Kasparov!
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 18:38
    Generate real market interest, dont you really mean, make money from Fischers name. I resent that remark, Fischer has done more in his lifetime to generate 'real market interest', in chess than any other chess player, any other! Indeed many persons took up the noble games because of the interest that Fischer generated!
    Robbie, you seriously don't think Fischer's life was a descent into madness? Have you heard his radio interviews?

I think that the claims that Fischer did more to generate 'real market interest' are a bit strange. He certainly initiated the 'chessplayer as professional' movement that started things rolling. But while certainly a splash in the English speaking world, do you really think that he had more of an effect than Kasaparov? Or Anand for that matter (remember how many people are in India)? I've heard tons of English speaking players name Fischer as their favorite, but what about the rest of the world/the majority of chessplayers? I could also be totally wrong. I'm just wondering if there is an english language bias.

Fischer had the whole east vs west thing going for him. And he was good looking enough to make the game appealing (I suspect there might have been less Fischer mania if Fischer looked like Bronstein/Reshevsky or Botvinnik). And he got people in the US to give a damn about the game for a short time.

I don't know what happened with Fischer and Brady, so I will defer to anyone having intimate knowledge of their association. But having been friends with someone who went bonkers, I can attest to the difficulty of acting in accordance with their wishes. What was the awful thing that Brady published about Fischer anyway? I hope tons of people buy the book and get interested in chess. If Fischer rolls in his grave...serves him right for not following through with his talent. I'd have loved to see Karpov vs Fischer.

Imagine a UFC fighter that having won a chamipionship, ducks the chance to defend their title. Then goes about thinking of themselves as the best ever. Then years later all these people log onto the internet and say "that guy was the best ever." Then 25 years later, this fighter and the guy he originally beat get in the ring and slug it out. This fighter wins: still the best right? Fischer world champion! I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this is funny.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 09:32
    Robbie, you seriously don't think Fischer's life was a descent into madness? Have you heard his radio interviews?

I think that the claims that Fischer did more to generate 'real market interest' are a bit strange. He certainly initiated the 'chessplayer as professional' movement that started things rolling. But while certainly a splash in the English ...[text shortened]... t? Fischer world champion! I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this is funny.
    it helps all chess players if they are a little paranoid, for lets face it, everybody is out to get us!

I dont like the appellation 'mad', for having a member of my family hospitalised three times with a mental illness, just lets say i know something about it. There are varying degrees of psychosis and varying degrees of paranoia, it does not mean that the sufferer is mad, in any sense of the word, indeed, i find it highly offensive to suggest that is the case.

What did Fischer say, the Russians were cheats? is it not illegal to talk to others while a game is in progress? that the Zionist movement is an oppressive regime? (just ask the Palestinians), that Europeans stole land from the indigenous Americans? true or false? that members of the American government were out to get him (indeed they were for tax evasion), that diplomatic pressure was applied to have him arrested and imprisoned in Japan, (well thanks Julian Assange, we now know that governments have been lying to us for years!). Ok he said some offensive stuff, but its hardly the definition of a madman, is it.

What Fischer objected to , was it described him in Bradys first book as being Jewish. Fischer had adopted another faith at that time, he did not want to be Jewish, he was, as far as I can tell some kind of Christian. Fischer asked Brady to amend this appellation, to which he refused, on being pressured by the publishers. Brady himself tried to justify the appellation by saying that he (Fischer) was culturally and ethnically Jewish, by virtue of his mother, but Fischer was not buying it. All this is known from an interview Brady gave.

Fischer had climbed the chess mountain, had Fide acquiesced to his simple requests, we might have had a Karpov v Fischer game, but they did not so we shall never know. This concludes my post which contains more than enough controversy for one day and such meanderings dont really belong in a chess only forum, but more in debates or spirituality, of which i am very well aware

kind regards Robbie.
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 11:31
    Fischer was da man! Fischer played, 'honest chess', Karpov and Kasparov were mamas boys! especially Kasparov!
    I see you're an armchair psychiatrist yourself robbie? What is it with you and hurling unfounded accusations around and than follow-up doing exactly the same of what you accuse others of doing?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 12:242 edits
    Originally posted by Kegge
    I see you're an armchair psychiatrist yourself robbie? What is it with you and hurling unfounded accusations around and than follow-up doing exactly the same of what you accuse others of doing?
    I never claimed to be anything other than an armchair psychiatrist, perhaps that fact evaded you, perhaps it was cloaked in language, obscured by metaphor, who can say?

As it stands, perhaps you shall explain what those unfounded accusations are, for as yet, you appear to have proffered nothing. I suspect that this little cyber rocket of a post of yours is related in some way to another thread in the general forum, that of cyberbullying, if that is the case, take it there spanklkegge, for this is a chess only forum and we dont want to pollute it with anything as unsavoury as your assimilation into a personality cult! resistance is futile, i know!
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 13:31
    It's now official. I really regret having started this thread. I'd delete the thread if I could, and for once, I'm not joking. How about everyone just stop posting to the thread and give it the quick, merciful death that it deserves? Thanks.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 13:35
    I think that the claims that Fischer did more to generate 'real market interest' are a bit strange. He certainly initiated the 'chessplayer as professional' movement that started things rolling. But while certainly a splash in the English speaking world, do you really think that he had more of an effect than Kasaparov? Or Anand for that matter (remember how many people are in India)?
    Don't forget Lasker. In his day, he got into real newspapers, not just the sports or hobby sections.

Richard
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 13:43
    I dont like the appellation 'mad', for having a member of my family hospitalised three times with a mental illness, just lets say i know something about it. There are varying degrees of psychosis and varying degrees of paranoia, it does not mean that the sufferer is mad, in any sense of the word, indeed, i find it highly offensive to suggest that is the case.
    Believe me, I know something about it, too. And no, calling Fischer "mad" is not quite right. We should call him "stark raving bonkers" or, if you wish to be Cockney about it, "effin' Dagen'am".

What Fischer objected to , was it described him in Bradys first book as being Jewish. Fischer had adopted another faith at that time, he did not want to be Jewish, he was, as far as I can tell some kind of Christian. Fischer asked Brady to amend this appellation, to which he refused, on being pressured by the publishers. Brady himself tried to justify the appellation by saying that he (Fischer) was culturally and ethnically Jewish, by virtue of his mother, but Fischer was not buying it. All this is known from an interview Brady gave.

So, what you're saying is, Fischer objected to the truth being told because he had a massive bee in his bonnet, and when his bluff was called he went into a hissy fit. Come on, if he hadn't been a nutcase about the whole Jewish thing, there wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Fischer had climbed the chess mountain, had Fide acquiesced to his simple requests,

*Cough* Yeah. Sure.

Richard
  15. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 14:13
    I never claimed to be anything other than an armchair psychiatrist, perhaps that fact evaded you, perhaps it was cloaked in language, obscured by metaphor, who can say?

As it stands, perhaps you shall explain what those unfounded accusations are, for as yet, you appear to have proffered nothing. I suspect that this little cyber rocket of a post ...[text shortened]... ything as unsavoury as your assimilation into a personality cult! resistance is futile, i know!
    Only after you take your garbage from the general forum to debates, spanky! I post where I want whenever I want; or are you secretly agreeing that I actually have a point wanting to have VR stop his posting bullpoo in the forums and I have not been bullying him at all as you are accusing me of?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree