Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    19 Jul '14 13:49
    Oh, you've got to tip your hat to black, what a game!

  2. 19 Jul '14 14:12
    Yes one of the most incredible games of chess I ever played over.
    Some one sent me the bare score in an email, I had no idea what
    was coming next.
  3. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    19 Jul '14 14:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Yes one of the most incredible games of chess I ever played over.
    Some one sent me the bare score in an email, I had no idea what
    was coming next.
    I have to say, it is one of the most stunning sacrificial games i've ever seen. The under promotion at the end is just the icing on the cake. The piece coordination is just so precise!

    EDIT: Today is Maxime Vachier-Lagrave day i think..
  4. Subscriber 64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    19 Jul '14 17:14
    Forced mate after an under-promotion...

    I bet we haven't had many of those on here, GP???
  5. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    19 Jul '14 22:30
    impressive. most impressive.
  6. 20 Jul '14 01:54
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Forced mate after an under-promotion...

    I bet we haven't had many of those on here, GP???
    I'll see what I can dig up.

    A few weeks ago I blogged some lad who missed a chance to under promote
    to a Bishop whilst his opponent had two Queens.

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=172
  7. 20 Jul '14 22:02
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Oh, you've got to tip your hat to black, what a game!

    [pgn]
    [Event "French Championships"]
    [Site "Aix-les-Bains FRA"]
    [Date "2007.08.23"]
    [EventDate "2007.08.13"]
    [Round "10"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [White "Robert Fontaine"]
    [Black "Maxime Vachier-Lagrave"]
    [ECO "A89"]
    [WhiteElo "2567"]
    [BlackElo "2595"]
    [PlyCount "78"]

    1. Nf3 f5 2. d4 Nf6 3. g ...[text shortened]... g2 Bg1 34. Qc6 Rh2+ 35. Kg3 f1=N+
    36. Kf4 Rh4+ 37. Kg5 Be3+ 38. Kxh4 g5+ 39. Kh5 Ng3+ 0-1[/pgn]
    its absolutely beautiful.
  8. 22 Jul '14 10:10
    What a beauty. Thank you for sharing and teaching