Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    04 Aug '12 13:15 / 5 edits
    Amazingly, this game (one of two rapid play off games between Stephen Gordon v Gawain Jones) does not seem to appear anywhere on the net except on Chessbomb, who require you to be a paying member to download it. It doesn't even appear on the offical website for the British championships, which considering it's the deciding game, is some what mind boggling! I decided that this is a travesty so i've copied it out manually just for you're viewing pleasure...

    Gawain Jones (black) loses his Queen early in the game but doesn't hang up the white flag! On the contrary, he plays on and wins a fine game!



    Now considering this is a [b]20 minute game[/i] you have to seriously tip your hat to the Welsh GM for rescuing this game. Tenacious is an understatement!
  2. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    04 Aug '12 13:27
    wunderbar!
  3. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    04 Aug '12 14:49 / 1 edit
    Gawain is not Welsh - Possible Irish or Italian but almost certainly English.

    He does have a Welsh surname (Jones) though so there might be some good in him...! ;-)
  4. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    04 Aug '12 15:35 / 1 edit
    He's English! And the game does appear on the official website because that's where I watched it, live, this morning
  5. Subscriber Kegge On Vacation
    04 Aug '12 16:20
    I visit http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/ to watch games live.
  6. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    04 Aug '12 18:00
    Originally posted by kingshill
    Gawain is not Welsh - Possible Irish or Italian but almost certainly English.

    He does have a Welsh surname (Jones) though so there might be some good in him...! ;-)
    Oh really? I thought he was Welsh, my bad.
  7. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    04 Aug '12 18:05
    Originally posted by Kegge
    I visit http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/ to watch games live.
    I spent ages trying to find the game so i could copy and paste it but ended up doing it by hand. Anywho, what a finish!
  8. 04 Aug '12 21:25
    Lord I would be so furious if I was Stephen Jones.

    Nothing makes me go more ballistic than having a big material advantage in a blitz game and losing it.

    If my materially-deficient opponent keeps playing I feel increasingly duty-bound to make him pay for his blunder and his bad manners in playing a lost game out to the bitter end.

    It's kind of a "bring him to justice" thing.
  9. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    04 Aug '12 22:03
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    Lord I would be so furious if I was Stephen Jones.

    Nothing makes me go more ballistic than having a big material advantage in a blitz game and losing it.

    If my materially-deficient opponent keeps playing I feel increasingly duty-bound to make him pay for his blunder and his bad manners in playing a lost game out to the bitter end.

    It's kind of a "bring him to justice" thing.
    You can't critisise Jones for playing on, it was one of only two rapid games to decide the championship. Anything can happen at short time controls. I think White could have exchanged down into a winning ending a number of ways, but it was just a quirk of the position that his pieces where a little uncoordinated after he won blacks Queen. It was a devilish trap though, when white played Qd1 he had obviously anticipated the Nf6 moving, looking at the position i find it hard to see what black should have played, anyone got any ideas?
  10. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    04 Aug '12 23:09
    I remember Gawain Jones from the ICC a few years ago when he was a strong junior.

    No sense of ego from him, even though he was a teen and one of the best blitz and bullet tourney players on the site at the time.

    I often think of the more obnoxious online players as being teens. But I think that being on the internet can make any age an idiot.
  11. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    04 Aug '12 23:20
    Originally posted by hedonist
    I remember Gawain Jones from the ICC a few years ago when he was a strong junior.

    No sense of ego from him, even though he was a teen and one of the best blitz and bullet tourney players on the site at the time.

    I often think of the more obnoxious online players as being teens. But I think that being on the internet can make any age an idiot.
    I've been impressed with his progress. There's going to be a serious argument in favour of including him in the Elite category of the London chess classic soon, i think he's destined to break 2700 pretty at some point, my guess would be within the year or pretty close to that. Can't wait for the Olympiad, the English team are spoilt for choice when it comes to good players. Hope Luke McShane plays, he's the best Brit atm by far.