1. Joined
    11 Aug '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 18:43
    http://www.britishchess2011.com/

Hi guys,

Is anybody going to this?

Can anybody tell me what it is like to watch rather than play?

I've got a the week off work so was thinking about getting on the train to Sheffield as it is only a few miles down the road.

Cheers lordgledhill
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 22:33
    Originally posted by lordgledhill
    http://www.britishchess2011.com/

Hi guys,

Is anybody going to this?

Can anybody tell me what it is like to watch rather than play?

I've got a the week off work so was thinking about getting on the train to Sheffield as it is only a few miles down the road.

Cheers lordgledhill
    I would love to read your recap if you go! Not just the games, but anything that strikes you as interesting or noteworthy.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 00:031 edit
    It all depends on the venue, some years it's great for spectators and other years not so great.

Whilst it is fun to watch the Grandmasters up close for a while, the real action is usually in the commentary room, especially when a few of the stronger players finish their games and come and sit in the audience. It is very much an audience participation thing rather than just a crowd of silent woodpushers listening intently to the words of wisdom eminating from the official commentating team.

But why not take part yourself? There are various other tournaments taking place during the fortnight apart from the Championship proper. Last year, in Canterbury, I entered a rapidplay (20 minutes + 10 seconds per move IIRC) and got soundly thrashed by a Grandmaster.
  4. e4
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 01:51
    It's always worth a visit.

They usually have boxes of books for £5.00 or under.
    You can ask to buy a used set and board at cut price.

(buy a book written by one of the players for £5.00, get him to sign it
    and drop it on E-Bay as a signed copy for £20.00) 🙂

If Andrew Martin is doing the commentary and the game is of a tactical
    nature then it really is good fun. He asks the audience questions giving
    prizes away. I have scored in the past but fail if the GIQ is an ending.

FL is correct though. Try and join one of the events, they often run things
    like simuls and blitz stuff in the evenings. I am going to try and get down
    for the day.
  5. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 08:51
    I'd recommend playing a morning event, 5-dayer if you can. Then watch the top boards on the monitors for a bit and then the commentary room. A few trips into the surrounding areas, pub lunches. Lovely.
    You have to be an ECF member to play though.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 10:091 edit
    Originally posted by greenerpawn
    You have to be an ECF member to play though.
    That's only true for the Championship events (i.e. ones where a English title is at stake).
  7. Joined
    24 Feb '09
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 10:15
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    That's only true for the Championship events (i.e. ones where a English title is at stake).

I am biased, but I think that joining the ECF is a worthwhile thing to do. In fact it will enable you to play in any FIDE rated event in ENG and give you discounts on many other tournaments including weekend events. In the future it may be obligatory to be a member to get a grade, but I think it's worth the price to support English chess.
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 11:30
    Best of luck to ye.
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 13:21
    Originally posted by adamraoof
    In the future it may be obligatory to be a member to get a grade
    I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion about that on the English Chess Forum...
  10. Jerusalem
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 18:08
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Fat lady? Are you still here?
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 20:03
    Originally posted by elady
    Fat lady? Are you still here?
    I pop in every couple of weeks to see if anything has been done about the blatent cheaters and have a quick look at the chess forum at the same time. I stick to blitz on playchess.com for my playing fix and the English Chess Forum for talking bollox about chess.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 20:57
    Are the spectators who attend these games allowed to Tweet or post on Facebook about the games as it goes on? Or will it be looked at as an opportunity to cheat?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree