1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 17:24
    When a pawn is promoted and is captured the peice is placeable as a pawn and not a piece. Why is it not placeable as the promoted piece? This seems unfair to me. If it could not be captured it would remain in play as a piece.
  2. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:00
    It doesnt deserve to be turned into a promoted piece forever for several reasons.

1. It is much easier to promote a piece in exchange chess, therefore less of an achievement to be rewarded.

2. There would end up being hardly any pawns left if you kept turning them into pieces.

3.The reward for promotion is usually that you will end up winning material along the way - this extra material is what your opposing team gets as a reward.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:45
    I have not played a game of bughouse but I have played a game of crazy house. I have never seen a game where there was any threat of not having pawns. The unwanted trade of a peice for a promoted pawn was always most unpleasant to me.
  4. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 13:24
    Originally posted by gambit3
    When a pawn is promoted and is captured the peice is placeable as a pawn and not a piece. Why is it not placeable as the promoted piece? This seems unfair to me. If it could not be captured it would remain in play as a piece.
    On a practical note where would you physically get all the pieces from (assuming it is OTB)?
    I agree with Tyrannosauruschex's arguments.

The rules of the game are defined. If you don't agree or dislike it then don't play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree