1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 21:15
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    what's a perogative? But you have a point I suppose.
    A spelling mistake???

I always make silly mistakes. Look at my games sometime.
  2. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 02:42
    Maybe the 1600 can list lines culled from a database, but as for "ideas" I doubt that very much. You should have a minimal ability to evaluate and organize ideas to write a decent book which a 2000 player would want to buy. This Mr. Hatch I referred to previously took care to write in his preface to write that his book on the Colle wasn't a "how to" book. Which is fine. But if a 1600 were to write a book called, say, Judment and Planning in Chess, I'd have a problem with that. Or How to Play the Queen's Gambit. I've seen 1600's at the club level read MCO and show a line they've seen. They show the line up to move ten and you say, "Back it up a little, what if black does this," and you plunk a piece down someplace they haven's considered." They go into a deep thought, but can't come up with a good answer, unless they run back to Fritz. I know ratings are often derided, but I think they represent, at bottom, a level of understanding. If a 16oo wrote a book for the elementary player, showing checkmates and basic problems, that would be ok. Along the same lines, when Andrew Martin writes a book on the Scandinavian (which he has), I as an 1800 am impressed and see things i could use. I'm sure if Kasparov read it he would say, "This line is stupid, this goes nowhere, etc. Ratings mean something.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree