1. Joined
    01 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 17:552 edits
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    and sometimes even 2 pawns advantage is not enough to win.
    Even 6 pawns more isn't enough. 🙂

😀
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 18:03
    There is nothing like a practical example.

I was careless going into this opposite coloured B end game thinking I had an easy win, after all I was 2 pawns up, had 3 passed pawns and outranked my opponent considerably but the end position is a draw in Game 3278351.
  3. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 18:32
    Thanks again lads. I was playing for a draw here from very early on. The opposite coloured Bishops were ideal.
  4. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 19:431 edit

I was careless going into this opposite coloured B end game thinking I had an easy win, after all I was 2 pawns up, had 3 passed pawns and outranked my opponent considerably but the end position is a draw in Game 3278351.
    thats kind of strange
  5. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 20:36

I think that was a brilliant draw from your oppontant. Granted you erred to give him opportunity but he played the only right drawing move on a number o0f occasions toward the end.

Post rec'd, both for his play (David vs Goliath) and your humility in showing it to us. Thanks.
  6. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 01:29

...and THAT is nothing like a practical example.

Sorry...couldn't resist the set-up. 😉
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:41
    No, I could not win this game unless he made an error but that was not the point. If you read my messages to him I stated my strategy was to win the tournament. Since Rookguy did take the draw I offered him I accepted a draw on this game. As my chess teacher used to tell me, sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war.
  8. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 20:48
    Originally posted by wonderboy75
    No, I could not win this game unless he made an error but that was not the point. If you read my messages to him I stated my strategy was to win the tournament. Since Rookguy did take the draw I offered him I accepted a draw on this game. As my chess teacher used to tell me, sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war.
    You did say this though:

His response:
    I really think that without moving your pawns or king I can still get something across the board but since Rookguy accepted my draw I will accept yours by offering you one now.

That just isn't true or accurate. I had told you all I intended to do was push Bishop over and back but you said that even so you could win.

As I said in our messages though. Congrats on tournament win. Well done. I was just happy first to make it to final and then not get beat in all games there.
  9. Joined
    09 Dec '04
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 02:31
    Originally posted by malinga
    That just isn't true or accurate. I had told you all I intended to do was push Bishop over and back but you said that even so you could win.
    Actually I said I thought I could get something across the board. I'm not sure why I am having to defend myself in this fashion (in the forums and in private messages) but I will not reply to any more postings or private messages about this subject or this game. Malinga, you played very well and I hope to play more games with you in the future.
  10. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 02:58
    Originally posted by wonderboy75
    Actually I said I thought I could get something across the board. I'm not sure why I am having to defend myself in this fashion (in the forums and in private messages) but I will not reply to any more postings or private messages about this subject or this game. Malinga, you played very well and I hope to play more games with you in the future.
    Weren't you a baseball bat in a movie?
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 03:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    13 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 11:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. The sky
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 12:21
    Originally posted by malinga
    I was playing for a draw here from very early on. The opposite coloured Bishops were ideal.
    I once had a game where I was a pawn down, so after reading up a bit on endgames (I was still quite new to the game at that time), I gladly accepted a rook exchange that led to an opposite coloured bishop endgame, hoping that I might still manage a draw. My opponent completely messed it up, and I ended up winning the game! Game 1098865

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree