1. Joined
    30 Apr '08
    Moves
    20 May '08 10:331 edit
    New to chess... I am running around to anyone that I can get to play chess with me to get more games under my belt. I even bought a box!
    anyways....
    I was just wondering if playing lower rated opponents can hinder me from improving my game or even make me think/tactics wrong.

also do you think i should put the 5 minute speed chess away because im a newb. obviously im not rated yet but i do love the speed chess! but may i add it tends to make me move to fast during none timed games and not look a few steps ahead

Thanks for your time hope everyone is good. please advise

young grasshopper
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '08 12:08
    try to play against players who you have a chance to beat, but will also give you a hard time. playing against lower opposition is not necessarily bad.

if 5 minutes chess is giving bad habits as you say, yes, stop it.
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    20 May '08 12:16
    Subscribe and then you can have the best of both worlds.

6 games is very limiting and, by subscribing, you can play whole tournaments dedicated to a single opening and you won't be hesitant to play the 7/7 games or even greater time limits.

I just blast away willy nilly but I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will give similar advice.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '08 13:47
    Originally posted by RDM
    Subscribe and then you can have the best of both worlds.

6 games is very limiting and, by subscribing, you can play whole tournaments dedicated to a single opening and you won't be hesitant to play the 7/7 games or even greater time limits.

I just blast away willy nilly but I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will give similar advice.
    you don't have to subscribe to play many correspondence games. there are at least 4 very decent correspondence chess sites I know of, and you can play up to 40~ games by just using what they offer for free. that's what I do anyway.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '08 01:401 edit
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    you don't have to subscribe to play many correspondence games. there are at least 4 very decent correspondence chess sites I know of, and you can play up to 40~ games by just using what they offer for free. that's what I do anyway.
    hi, can you list these sites - regards Robert.😀
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '08 22:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    hi, can you list these sites - regards Robert.😀
    these are the ones I know of:

gameknot.com [I think it should be up to 12 (+4 when you participate in a tournament) games after some certain wins etc]
    chesshere.com (15 games right away)
    chess.com (I don't play in this one)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree