Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    17 Nov '08 09:39 / 4 edits
    Is this position lost after whites 18th move? I'd like to pursue this position in future games.

    Game 5582222
  2. 17 Nov '08 09:40
    Originally posted by uzless
    Is this position lost after whites 18th move? I'd like to pursue this position in future games.

    [gameid]5582222[gameid/]
    [ gid ]5582222[ /gid ] -> Game 5582222
  3. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    17 Nov '08 09:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [ gid ]5582222[ /gid ] -> Game 5582222
    ya, my bad...fixed!
  4. 17 Nov '08 10:01
    Originally posted by uzless
    Is this position lost after whites 18th move? I'd like to pursue this position in future games.

    Game 5582222
    Lost for which side?

    Black's mistake was 19. ... Bd7. After 19. ... Bf6 instead, black was at least equal, I think. For instance: 20.Nh6 Bd3 21.Rc1 Rxb2 etc..

    Perhaps white's safest continuation would have been (after 19. ... Bf6): 20.Nxh6+ Kxg7 21.Nf5+ and perpetual check with the queen on g4 and h5.
  5. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    17 Nov '08 16:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Lost for which side?

    Black's mistake was 19. ... Bd7. After 19. ... Bf6 instead, black was at least equal, I think. For instance: 20.Nh6 Bd3 21.Rc1 Rxb2 etc..

    Perhaps white's safest continuation would have been (after 19. ... Bf6): 20.Nxh6+ Kxg7 21.Nf5+ and perpetual check with the queen on g4 and h5.
    After your 19 bf6, why wouldn't white just move 20. Qg4 instead of Nh6?

    I don't see a recovery from this position.
  6. 17 Nov '08 19:53
    Originally posted by uzless
    After your 19 bf6, why wouldn't white just move 20. Qg4 instead of Nh6?

    I don't see a recovery from this position.
    19. ... Bf6 20.Qg4 then 20. ... Kh8 is in black's favour. He has several threats like Bxg7, Rg8 and Bd3.

    ps. Note also that after 20. ... Kh8 21.Qh5 Bxg7 22.Nxh6 Bxh6 23.Qxh6+ Kg8, white has not check anymore, let alone perpetual.
  7. 18 Nov '08 04:46 / 1 edit
    This is an unusual position. I think white has good posibilities, for example
    18.... Bf6 19.Nxf6 Qxf6 20.Qxd5 and white is a pawn up. The pawns on c5 and e4 is hanging.
  8. 18 Nov '08 07:49
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    This is an unusual position. I think white has good posibilities, for example
    18.... Bf6 19.Nxf6 Qxf6 20.Qxd5 and white is a pawn up. The pawns on c5 and e4 is hanging.
    Of course, but black didn't make the mistake of playing 18. ... Bxf6. He played 18. ... Bb5 to prevent white from castling and to plan for Bd3. The idea was that after 19.Nhxg7 he could play 19. ... Bf6 (instead of Bd7 as in the game).