1. Joined
    03 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 20:08
    i have a really bad habit of starting off really well, getting the upper hand (sometimes even taking the queen for a knight or bishop), and then throwing it all away. has anyone else ever done this? i feel more pressure on me in those situations because i'm expected to win
  2. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 20:10
    Yes, it drives me nuts. Especially when a more experienced player will look over your shoulder and be "Oh, easy game, you can win that no problem." Sigh.
  3. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 20:26
    I am sure it has happened to everyone at one time or another.

When you are up material you should play as if you are down. The first thing you may want to do is rush in with your superior might but most times your forces are not ideally placed after you won the material.

The first thing you should do is consolidate your posistion. Get far flung pieces more centralized, get your king as safe as possible and fix your pawn structure if possible.

Do not try for a knockout unless you see it 100% through. Your extra material is a middlegame advantage and an endgame win if you can trade down material EVENLY.

Last thing is... don't be afraid to give some of the material back if it makes the game a clearer win.
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 20:44
    Like this: Game 2515701

THAT is the most terrible endgame ever. When I didn't stop his pawn from promoting, though, THAT was just accidentally clicking the wrong square.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 20:46
    Originally posted by rooktakesqueen
    i have a really bad habit of starting off really well, getting the upper hand (sometimes even taking the queen for a knight or bishop), and then throwing it all away. has anyone else ever done this? i feel more pressure on me in those situations because i'm expected to win
    It's important to keep planning even after you are winning. Make sure your pieces are coordinated and centralized, just like you would before you won material. Solidify your position and don't embark on wild attacks if they give your opponent counterplay. Try for a risk-free victory.

Remember that trading pieces usually favors the side with extra material; use this fact to take good squares from the enemy, or force him to trade down to the endgame. In the endgame, try to trade pieces and not pawns, because some material-down endings can be drawn if there are no pawns to promote. Trading pieces reduces the number of defenders, making it easier to win pawns.

Always look a move ahead. Yes, I know that sounds simple, but it surprising how many players, myself included, forget to do this on occasion. Look at all your opponent's legal replies before moving, especially bothersome checks or forceful captures. Remember, the opponent is eager to find some cheap shot that gets him back in the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree