Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Jun '10 02:08
    My focus on chess seems to go in 14-18 month cycles. 14-18 months of intense interest in chess, followed by the same period of disinterested burnout. Does this happen to anyone else?
  2. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    19 Jun '10 02:36 / 1 edit
    I've noticed you're sporadic in the last 5 years. you come and go. maybe next time take a break at 13 months before you burn out?
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Jun '10 02:40
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I've noticed you're sporadic in the last 5 years. you come and go. maybe next time take a break at 13 months before you burn out?
    You are correct. Maybe a good idea
  4. 19 Jun '10 09:04
    Originally posted by bill718
    My focus on chess seems to go in 14-18 month cycles. 14-18 months of intense interest in chess, followed by the same period of disinterested burnout. Does this happen to anyone else?
    dude everyone goes through this. i got some great advice from a friend recently for there were so many things i was trying to learn, just concentrate on the basics, tactics, middle game strategy, positional concepts and common end game themes, and no more than one at a time, and make sure if you are reading a chess book that its an enjoyable chess book.
  5. 19 Jun '10 11:06
    Originally posted by bill718
    Increase your game load to say 40 games at a time, which will increase the intensity and you may find you can only go for 3 or 4 weeks before suffering a similar period of burnout.

If nothing else, it will reduce the period of inactivity.
  6. 19 Jun '10 11:06
    is it really a problem? I find being disgusted of chess sometimes rather healthy...
  7. 19 Jun '10 20:08
    The title should read ''Can't maintain chess obsession''.
  8. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    19 Jun '10 22:47
    Get elected to a chess committee. That should cure your problem permanently - because you'll never play chess again
  9. 24 Jun '10 19:02
    Yeah Im coming back from a long break.