1. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 13:11
    In this sort of situation I always think back to Tal and Fischer. At one stage Tal was 4-0 up in head-to-heads against Fischer, but Fischer finally turned it round and I think they were 4-4 in the end.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 04:46
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    In this sort of situation I always think back to Tal and Fischer. At one stage Tal was 4-0 up in head-to-heads against Fischer, but Fischer finally turned it round and I think they were 4-4 in the end.
    Tal was up 4-0 from that one Candidates tournament. Whereas Naka has been losing to Carlsen over several years.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 05:17
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    http://en.chessbase.com/post/gashimov-r5-new-leader-emerges
    Well pfffftttt!!!!1! Damn him to hell, he's over the hill already. 😕
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 09:20
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Tal was up 4-0 from that one Candidates tournament. Whereas Naka has been losing to Carlsen over several years.
    True. Nakamura / Carlsen is not exactly analogous with Fischer / Tal. Nevertheless I still feel that there's a possibility that Naka may one day raise his game by enough to make him at least Carlsen's equal. However at the moment it seems that Caruana is the next Big Thing.

Here is one of my favourite games. I think it was the first time that Fischer beat Tal:
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 13:27
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    True. Nakamura / Carlsen is not exactly analogous with Fischer / Tal. Nevertheless I still feel that there's a possibility that Naka may one day raise his game by enough to make him at least Carlsen's equal. However at the moment it seems that Caruana is the next Big Thing.

Here is one of my favourite games. I think it was the first time that Fischer bea ...[text shortened]... 3 41. Re1+ Kf8 42. Rxb5 Kg7 43. Rb6 Qg3 44. Rd1 Qc7
    45. Rdd6 Qc8 46. b3 Kh7 47. Ra6 1-0
    [/pgn]
    I think Nakamura is a swashbuckler / risk-taker at heart. His competitive drive and amazing strength of will have allowed him to play with enough control to make the world's top 10. But, I think he will be forever fighting himself rather than playing as an extension of his natural tendencies. This gets exposed big-time when he plays someone like Carlsen.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 14:12
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I think Nakamura is a swashbuckler / risk-taker at heart. His competitive drive and amazing strength of will have allowed him to play with enough control to make the world's top 10. But, I think he will be forever fighting himself rather than playing as an extension of his natural tendencies. This gets exposed big-time when he plays someone like Carlsen.
    I think this is perfectly stated. Nakamura's style simply does not match up well with Carlsen.

It's possible he can learn and change. Kasparov did not match up well against Karpov at first, but during the first match he took an early beating without going down, learned from the games, and emerged much stronger for it.

There is also a quote from Tal I have been trying to find, but I have been unsuccessful so far. In the quote he talks about all the top Soviet GMs of the era, and how "A beats B, B beats C, C beats D, and D beats A", and how they joke about it or some such. I'll keep looking.
  7. e4
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 15:47
    Hi Paul,

SG is spot on, but I hope The Nak does not change.
    According to the law of averages he will catch MC one day.

Magnus has won his last game and therefore the whole tournament.

Magnus Carlsen vs Fabiano Caruana, Gashimov Memorial 2014

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree