Carlsen vs Anand - WCC rematch

Carlsen vs Anand - WCC rematch

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18 Nov 14

another draw...it will be narrow for Anand to win now after having ot won with white again.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
18 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
So far, Maggy won the pawns and it is k, kn, R Vs K and rook. Is that a win?
Looks like they are playing blitz now.

Here is a youtube about this kind of position. Looks like maybe 1/3 chance of win, 2/3 chance of draw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-OlC-evq28

2/3 held out, draw! Now 4-3 in favor of Maggy.
I bet Anand was reminded of that Rod Stewart song "Maggie May" specifically the part about wishing he'd never seen her face

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Nov 14

Originally posted by ketchuplover
I bet Anand was reminded of that Rod Stewart song "Maggie May" specifically the part about wishing he'd never seen her face
Especially after missing a Carlsen blunder and then Carlsen winning that game! One that will haunt him for a long time. Now 4.5-3.5 in Maggy's favor. Rest day today, back to work 7:30 AM EST Nov 20, tomorrow, Thursday.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
20 Nov 14

short draw today 🙁

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Nov 14

Originally posted by ketchuplover
short draw today 🙁
It seems to me Maggies strategy should be just make sure he draws the rest of the games. 2 victories to 1 in that case.

e4

Moves
20 Nov 14

A 20 mover - not even worth using a PGN.

He is grinding the match out to win by one point.

W

Moves
20 Nov 14

Greenpawn, I'm not sure he is. He was clearly disappointed at the press conference. He admitted Anand was simply better prepared and he could not find a plan.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
20 Nov 14

Yes, I tend to agree, the Chessbase coverage mentions a game against Levon Aronian in the 2013 Sinquefield Cup, where he needed a draw for sole first, but played on and eventually won the game in a situation where all he had to gain was a few ratings points and could lose sole first place.

Speaking of Chessbase there's a nice article by Simon Williams on double blunders like the one in game 6 in World Championship matches:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-blindness-of-the-champions

Mister Why

San Carlos, CA

Moves
21 Nov 14

I think Carlsen is a little sick. Yesterday, he practically fell asleep at the beginning of the game and looked physically awful. I think he pulled the draw today to give himself another day of rest.

DF

Moves
21 Nov 14

I'm going to predict an Anand victory today, he's looked the better player to me in the last couple of games.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Nov 14

Originally posted by Data Fly
I'm going to predict an Anand victory today, he's looked the better player to me in the last couple of games.
Game ten very dynamic right now. Maggie might be stuck with doubled pawns.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Nov 14
2 edits

Game ten very dynamic right now. Maggie might be stuck with doubled pawns.
Game ten another draw. Will he go for broke in game 11 as white?

Score now 5.5-4.5 in favor of Carlsen.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Nov 14

Game ten another draw. Will he go for broke in game 11 as white?

Score now 5.5-4.5 in favor of Carlsen.
I think Anand is forced to try for a win with the black pieces now. He's got two chances. So I think we'll be seeing a Sicilian next game.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
21 Nov 14

I am starting to wonder if Carlsen may have approached this match a little complacently. Anand has looked very well prepared, had he spotted that blunder in game 6(?) and gone on to win, you have to wonder if Carlsen would have enough to beat Anand. If Vishy nicks one of these two games then Carlsen could be left looking a bit embarrassed. Anand will have undoubtedly prepared for this eventuality, ie needing to win with either colour. Carlsen has looked very ropey in the opening (for a World champion)..

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
22 Nov 14

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
I am starting to wonder if Carlsen may have approached this match a little complacently. Anand has looked very well prepared, had he spotted that blunder in game 6(?) and gone on to win, you have to wonder if Carlsen would have enough to beat Anand. If Vishy nicks one of these two games then Carlsen could be left looking a bit embarrassed. Anand will hav ...[text shortened]... to win with either colour. Carlsen has looked very ropey in the opening (for a World champion)..
It's not his sharp and well prepared openings that Carlsen is known for.