Caro-Kann Advance

Caro-Kann Advance

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FL

over there

Moves
24 May 07
1 edit

I've had trouble against the Caro-Kann Advance Variation. I usually have these troubles when my opponent decides to push pawns and gain a ton of space on the kingside and attack my king. Does anyone have any good Caro-Kann Advance games where Black wins? Thx

g

Kalamazoo, MI

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
I've had trouble against the Caro-Kann Advance Variation. I usually have these troubles when my opponent decides to push pawns and gain a ton of space on the kingside and attack my king. Does anyone have any good Caro-Kann Advance games where Black wins? Thx
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?node=441491
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?node=441491&result=0-1

L

Moves
24 May 07

One thing I have learned about the Caro is that when to castle is definately something VERY important. Also typically I don't castle kingside when they gain lots of space on the kingside via g4. Also you need to gain counter play in the center by putting your knights on d7 and c6 and playing c5. Almost like a French.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
Due to Advance variation and Panov attack I dont play Caro-Kann.

m

Moves
24 May 07

I lost 0-3 in an IECG e-mail tmt. and am 0-2 in CC games against it. In fact my record with the C-K in gerneral is 42%. I gave up the opening because of the Advance Variation.

y

Moves
09 Jun 07
1 edit

i play 3...c5

after ...e6 you've got a decent french, especially if for some reason they play 4. Nf3 then you've got 4...Bg4 which solves the problem bishop

works well enough at my level lol

g

Moves
09 Jun 07

Originally posted by yofidawg
i play 3...c5

after ...e6 you've got a decent french, especially if for some reason they play 4. Nf3 then you've got 4...Bg4 which solves the problem bishop

works well enough at my level lol
Korchnoi has played 3...c5 as well, so you're in good company! White can hold the pawn for a while (forever?) by playing 4 dxc5, but Black gets an excellent game for his (temporary?) pawn minus.

y

Moves
09 Jun 07
2 edits

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
Korchnoi has played 3...c5 as well, so you're in good company! White can hold the pawn for a while (forever?) by playing 4 dxc5, but Black gets an excellent game for his (temporary?) pawn minus.
4...e6. Blocks the white bishop in but black has the better pawn structure and, as we know from the French, white's gunna have fun trying to hold on to both the pawns on e5 and c5 😛 especially after stuff like ...Nd7, ...f6, etc