1. Joined
    09 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 18:19
    I was wondering if anybody had a good suggestion for a book or DVD to learn to play the Caro-Kann for a player of around 1800. I am aware that several are available all with good reviews, but it would be great to hear from anybody who had an opinion on them, rather than relying on pot-luck.
  2. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 18:34
    Grandmaster Secrets: The Caro-Kann by Peter Wells is an excellent book on the caro-kann as a whole.
  3. Joined
    17 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 18:47
    didn't karpov write one on the caro-kann?
  4. Joined
    09 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 19:03
    I belive he did, but on advance variation, and another variation. I was hoping to find something that provided a whole repetiour.
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 19:371 edit
    Originally posted by queenchuckextreme
    I belive he did, but on advance variation, and another variation. I was hoping to find something that provided a whole repetiour.
    The 2 Karpov books cover pretty much everything. I have the Advance/Gambit Systems one & it is excellent.

This might be worth a try if you want less detailed but more general coverage:
    http://tinyurl.com/59tls2
  6. Standard memberChipotle
    Pawn Grubber
    a2-g8 diagonal
    Moves
    01 Sep '08 21:37
    Jovanka Houska wrote a reperoire book for the Caro-Kann, "play the Caro-Kann", (Everymann Chess). I have a copy, but really haven't worked through it enough to offer an opinion.
  7. Joined
    30 Aug '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 07:48
    Originally posted by Chipotle
    Jovanka Houska wrote a reperoire book for the Caro-Kann, "play the Caro-Kann", (Everymann Chess). I have a copy, but really haven't worked through it enough to offer an opinion.
    I have worked through that book, it's very nice overall, with sound recommendations all around. My only gripe is she completely left out (without even mentioning the line) the Nbd7 line Karpov, Smyslov and Petrosian so clearly liked. But for that line I bought the book Caro Kann Smyslov system 4.....Nbd7, which is great.
  8. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 12:01
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    The 2 Karpov books cover pretty much everything. I have the Advance/Gambit Systems one & it is excellent.

This might be worth a try if you want less detailed but more general coverage:
    http://tinyurl.com/59tls2
    The two Karpov & Podgaets books cover the Advance and the Panov-Botvinnik Attack, but don't cover the 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 classical main line Caro Kann, though clearly the intention was to eventually do so as mentioned on the back cover of the Advance Variation volume. It's possible Karpov wasn't willing to give up all his secrets in this opening just yet, but he must have had a three-book deal with Batsford he had to fulfill, and that explains the How to Play the English Opening volume with the same production materials as the two Caro Kann books. I was really looking forward to an updated Classical Main Line coverage from Karpov (either with 3...Bf5 or 3...Nd7) but it looks like it may never come to pass.

Houska's book is a repertoire offering, covering the Main Line (...Bf5 with ...0-0), Panov Botvinnik, Exchange, Advance, Fantasy, 2.c4, Two Knights, King's Indian Attack, and a final chapter with a few unusual offerings.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 06:32
    I was wondering if anybody had a good suggestion for a book or DVD to learn to play the Caro-Kann for a player of around 1800. I am aware that several are available all with good reviews, but it would be great to hear from anybody who had an opinion on them, rather than relying on pot-luck.
    I play the Caro Kann, and find the games in Informants to be more helpful than any one book.
  10. Joined
    09 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 19:51
    Thanks guys for the advice, much appreciated.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 22:421 edit
    I would recommend Black Defensive System for the Rest of Your Chess Career by GM Andrew Soltis. It's at least ten years old, but it gives decent lines against all of White's main tries. It is available at www.labatechess.com
  12. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 00:13
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I would recommend Black Defensive System for the Rest of Your Chess Career by GM Andrew Soltis. It's at least ten years old, but it gives decent lines against all of White's main tries. It is available at www.labatechess.com
    i just got a book on the hippo. grawr!! 😀
  13. Joined
    16 Mar '10
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 04:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:18
    Originally posted by Chipotle
    I have this book and its excellent, I like the 3...c5 variation against the advance and this book focusses on that line. All in all a very nice and complete repertoire!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree