1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 00:45
    What whould be the best defence aganist e4 for a not-so-good player like me, because I always played e5 and this ussualy leads to Italian game - Giuoco piano or d4 normal variation (Giuoco pianissimo) which I absolutely hate as black - bishop pins night, tipicall trading rook and a pawn for bishop and a knight etc.
    I think that Caro Kann would be nice alternative, I like the patterns and it seems way less theoretical and complicated than sicilian?
    And is it more tactical or positional opening? It seems that it leads much often into open games.
    Thanks for anwsering
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 01:22
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    What whould be the best defence aganist e4 for a not-so-good player like me, because I always played e5 and this ussualy leads to Italian game - Giuoco piano or d4 normal variation (Giuoco pianissimo) which I absolutely hate as black - bishop pins night, tipicall trading rook and a pawn for bishop and a knight etc.
    I think that Caro Kann would be nice alt ...[text shortened]... or positional opening? It seems that it leads much often into open games.
    Thanks for anwsering
    for a not so good player I actually do say e5, otherwise c5.

the giouco pianissimo (quietest game) is where white plays 4. d3

if you hate the Piano for being too dull, the Two Knights Defense is more exciting (though you have to study a bit...) 3. Bc4 Nf6

maybe if you explain why you "hate" the italian game, it would help people come up with ideas for openings that you'd prefer.
  3. Standard memberpawnfondler
    no edits
    Behind you
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 01:36
    it all depends if you wanna an open or close board. It is purely a matter of personal preference.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 02:012 edits
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=57417

how do you post a link to a thread?
  5. Joined
    31 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 02:08
    I messed around with just about every opening against e4 but i ended coming back to e5! Two knights defence rules! If they play ruy play marshall attack!
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 02:44
    Originally posted by pawnfondler
    it all depends if you wanna an open or close board. It is purely a matter of personal preference.
    Hm, one letter away from joining your clan 😛 Surprised its got so few members, probably due to people not knowing that they fall into the INTP category 😛
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 21:27
    The Caro-Kann has been played by most of the great positional players, like Capablanca, Botvinnik, Petrosian and Karpov.

It is very safe and solid. Few Caro-Kann games are decided early; it helps to be a decent endgame player if you play the Caro-Kann.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree