Castling question

Castling question

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

my island

Moves
10 Aug 06

you can't castle when you're in check or if one of the squares your king is about to pass is under attack but can you castle if something is attacking your rook?

Jew.

Moves
10 Aug 06

T

Moves
10 Aug 06
2 edits

Originally posted by 7ate9
you can't castle when you're in check or if one of the squares your king is about to pass is under attack but can you castle if something is attacking your rook?
You are in good company. It's hard to believe, but Korchnoi once had to ask the arbiter if he could castle in such a situation!

l

Moves
10 Aug 06

Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
You are in good company. Korchnoi once had to ask the arbiter if he could castle in such a situation!
Indeed...and he wasn't a callow youth, either, he was a seasoned grandmaster....I believe it was in his match against Karpov for the world championship, wasn't it? Or maybe one of the candidate's matches? At any rate, I believe Korchnoi was well aware of the rule, but under extreme pressure, we can do all sorts of things that make us cringe later.

The Tao Temple

Moves
10 Aug 06

Originally posted by lebowski
[b]Indeed...I believe it was in his match against Karpov for the world championship, wasn't it?
In that case, Karpov's camp presumably accused him of sending a coded message to his aides which they would respond to by putting a man in the audience with a jacket of a particular colour.

l

Moves
10 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Mixo
In that case, Karpov's camp presumably accused him of sending a coded message to his aides which they would respond to by putting a man in the audience with a jacket of a particular colour.
Ya think Korchnoi might have won if he had access to Pocket Fritz? Imagine having that in your palm 25 years ago...no one would think twice about it, you could say it was an electronic move counter, since programs circa-1980 sucked so much against anyone rated over 1200 FIDE.

Jew.

Moves
10 Aug 06

t

my island

Moves
10 Aug 06

what's going on with the quote names in this thread?

Jew.

Moves
10 Aug 06

t

my island

Moves
10 Aug 06

you're rated 1500+ and you don't know the rules to castle?
only started to play when i joined here, faq says nothing about the rook in castling so had to ask because i wasn't sure.

Jew.

Moves
10 Aug 06
1 edit

T

Moves
10 Aug 06
4 edits

Originally posted by trevor33
what's going on with the quote names in this thread?
Sorry, I somehow confused you with 7ate9. No offence intended. 😀

And 7ate9 was just disowning his own answer, in order to correct himself without anybody noticing. (LOL)

t

my island

Moves
10 Aug 06

i only learnt it not so long ago myself, and was surprised that you could castle while a rook is being attacked. did someone do it in one of your games?
no i'm playing a game now that might end up having me need to castle while my rook is under attack. but i looked at it again and if i did it would likely be mate a few moves after 😳

Jew.

Moves
10 Aug 06

T

Moves
10 Aug 06
1 edit

now, that's for sure.... if xanthepants in the house we may both get checkmated for talking about games in progress. i'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed she doesn't read this thread.
But if it is OK for Korchnoi to ask an arbiter this question it must be OK for trevor33 to ask it.