1. London
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 15:58
    To be honest if I was playing a club match I'm not sure I call it (the touch the king first when castling rule)...having said that if were the difference between moving down division...who knows.
  2. Seattle
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 19:40
    Originally posted by Fettzilla
    But why?😠
    because the game would be boring. Nobody would start an attack because nobody would castle. The instant you started attacking the uncastled King, he could run easily.

If you hate the rule so much set up your own site...you can play by any rules then 😛
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 19:48
    Originally posted by Fettzilla
    But why?😠
    The idea is that you are not permitted to get your King killed. Castling is a trick where a very common set of moves were combined because everyone did the same moves anyway; it's like the way Pawns can move two but be captured en passant that way. If you made the moves individually (move King up, move Rook over, move King back down) then you'd be moving into Check which is not permitted. They could permit it I guess; it would simply be an automatic loss when the other side took your King!
  4. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 21:41
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    "The U.S. rule regarding castling is also far more sensible, according to [Steve] Immit. FIDE Laws describes the process of castling such that the king must be moved prior to the rook. Immit describes this as a rule that, 'serves no other purpose than to make disputes.' The USCF allows either piece to be touched first."

http://beta.uschess.org/frontend/news_7_127.php
    Yeah, it makes more sense to me too to use the USCF rule - castling is a legal move involving the rook, so touching the rook should be ok.

If the USCF was trying to make the rules more kid-friendly, they never would have outlawed recording your move before you make it. That's how I learned to play the game, it'll be hard to get used to doing it the other way (even though the rule makes perfect sense) after all these years.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 07:212 edits
    At RHP we use the FIDE rule. We move the king two squares and the rook will follow automaticly.
    If you move your rook first you can't castle.

Same as OTB - when you move the king two squares anyone knows that this is a castling. If you move the rook two (or three) squares, no one knows for sure what the move is, if it is finished or if it will be followed by a king move.

FIDE rules.
  6. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 07:42
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    At RHP we use the FIDE rule. We move the king two squares and the rook will follow automaticly.
    If you move your rook first you can't castle.

Same as OTB - when you move the king two squares anyone knows that this is a castling. If you move the rook two (or three) squares, no one knows for sure what the move is, if it is finished or if it will be followd by a rook move.

FIDE rules.
    Makes perfect sense to me. Good explanation.
  7. Dublin
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 12:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Same as OTB - when you move the king two squares anyone knows that this is a castling. If you move the rook two (or three) squares, no one knows for sure what the move is, if it is finished or if it will be followed by a king move.
    Agreed. Under the American rules, what's to stop someone playing Rf8 and deciding, after releasing the rook, that it's a bad idea and castling instead?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree