1. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 01:19
    Why is it ok for a player to openly state that he is playing as a centaur? Did the rules change while I wasn't looking?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 01:35
    When you leave then come back, things often change.

Get used to it.
  3. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 15:52
    Originally posted by @buzz-meeks
    Why is it ok for a player to openly state that he is playing as a centaur? Did the rules change while I wasn't looking?
    Who says he is openly playing as a centaur?
  4. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 22:07
    Originally posted by @congruent
    Who says he is openly playing as a centaur?
    Calls himself centaurchess. But since eladar says it's OK, I guess there's no harm in a player using a computer, right?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 23:411 edit
    Calls himself centaurchess. But since eladar says it's OK, I guess there's no harm in a player using a computer, right?
    I didn't say using a computer program is OK. I said claiming to be a mythological creature is OK. No need to be a speciesphobe.

If there is an issue with cheating go to the faq and fill out a fair play sheet. The link is at the bottom.
  6. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 02:18
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I didn't say using a computer program is OK. I said claiming to be a mythological creature is OK. No need to be a speciesphobe.

If there is an issue with cheating go to the faq and fill out a fair play sheet. The link is at the bottom.
    Read your own post dude. You said nothing of the kind. Your implication was that the rules DID change, and I should get used to it. If you didn't know that a "centaur" was a human using computer assistance then there is that - but in that case your reply would have made no sense. So you knew but didn't care-- that's OK--I don't need you to care. I was just asking because it IS allowed on some sites. So the same question remains. Is it OK for this player to openly claim that he is a centaur? DID the rules in fact change while I wasn't looking and I should get used to it or is it not allowed? I would hope for a helpful answer before I would even consider complaining about a player who's not doing anything wrong.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 03:29
    Read your own post dude. You said nothing of the kind. Your implication was that the rules DID change, and I should get used to it. If you didn't know that a "centaur" was a human using computer assistance then there is that - but in that case your reply would have made no sense. So you knew but didn't care-- that's OK--I don't need you to care. I was ju ...[text shortened]... l answer before I would even consider complaining about a player who's not doing anything wrong.
    I was being sarcastic thinking your post was a joke. Did you mention it was the name of a chess program?
  8. Joined
    14 Sep '17
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 04:11
    i'm the culprit, sorry for that!! my english is not the best, so i do not read the complete directions here...
    I did not know that the use of engines is proscribed here. but I have to say to my vindication: from the first minute on it stood in my profil!
    i made no secret of that. everyone can free decide before if he want to play under this circumstances or not...
    i can not be the only one ( even an exotic) here, which one use occasionally engine support?!
    in some cases there should be more sincerity asked by some other engine user/players here...
    hope the excitement settled down soon and enjoys your time here 🙂
    cheers
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 12:08
    My 2 cents:
    * I didn't know what 'centaur' meant.
    * Seems pointless to play using an engine. Then it just comes down to who has the strongest/best engine.
    * Seems like a slippery slope to me to legitimising engine use all the time, or at least to legitimising it 'just occasionally'.
    * I don't want to hound anyone out (mythical creature or otherwise)
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 00:501 edit
  11. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 01:03
    Maybe I've just played elsewhere too much and I assumed computer use was illegal here but I confess I can't find it mentioned in the Introduction, help, or FAQ that it is, in fact, illegal. I don't use them myself and I do not care to play anyone else who does. In that respect centaurchess was, at least, being honest. However centaurchess also claimed his English was not good yet he is familiar with the term "centaur" (a person using a computer to assist him) while many other English speakers are not. Odd. It is NOT odd that centaurchess is, as yet, unbeaten.
  12. Joined
    14 Apr '15
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 12:44
    Under "Terms of Service": 3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials." This is what players agree to when they sign up for this site. Seems pretty clear to me.
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 14:15
    Originally posted by @eladar

I tried claiming to be a mythological creature, People always acted like I wasn't really there.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 15:43
    Originally posted by @paul-leggett
    I tried claiming to be a mythological creature, People always acted like I wasn't really there.
    Well that's what happens when you claim to be the invisible man.....
  15. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 16:30
    Originally posted by @pzn2pawn
    Under "Terms of Service": 3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials." This is what players agree to when they sign up for this site. Seems pretty clear to me.
    I have no doubt that it is true; I just couldn't find it. I am gratified that it is so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree