1. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 15:451 edit
    When issued, a potential opponent declines to accept below a certain rating. Does this indicate that the challenger is not good enough, and therefore a waste of time? Has it not occurred to him that the challenger may be able to give him a good game, or even win and dent his ego just a little bit?
  2. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:07
    Or that he only wishes to play people once he can gauge what kind of player they are; or people he knows personally; or because the risk outweighs the potential gain; or because he has too many games going at that particular time...or any and all of the above plus the reasons you mentioned.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:09
    Originally posted by excalibur 8
    When issued, a potential opponent declines to accept below a certain rating. Does this indicate that the challenger is not good enough, and therefore a waste of time? Has it not occurred to him that the challenger may be able to give him a good game, or even win and dent his ego just a little bit?
    This ego denting is precisely what most players are looking to avoid.

If you want more games than you'll find in the Challenges, join a clan, or try some tournaments.

Clan 24395 seeks members who wish a small number of high quality games.
  4. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:132 edits
    I must admit, I don't normally do this, but I deleted a challenge from a new member the other day. The reason is that at the moment I'm suffering from a bad case of rating inflation and I've specifically earmarked a number of friends who I know will quickly cut me back down to my proper size - which will in turn mean that I'm paired against more realistic opposition of my own level (about 1650-80, as opposed to the silly 1730+ I'm now at) in Clan challenges. Playing more 1200-rated players will turn up the occasional surprise, but playing too many friends rated at that level is part of the reason I'm suffering from this problem in the first place.
  5. Somewhere out there!
    Moves
    14 Feb '06 16:532 edits
    nvm, misclicked XD
  6. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 08:44
    I am rated just below 1350 at present. I for one would avoid to play a person rated below 1000 because even though I am certain I am going to win, I won't get more than 2-3 points. Even if my opponent sneaks out a draw from somewhere due to my silly mistake, I would lose 5-6 points nad if my opponent wins the game somehow due to my silliest of mistakes, I would lose about 35 points or something similar or maybe even more.....

I would be more than happy to play a 1800+ opponent because at the most I will lose 2 points when I lose and if I can even draw the game, I would get atleast 7-8 points if not more and a win would give me about 40 points I think...
  7. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 13:221 edit
    Originally posted by excalibur 8
    I like to have a rough idea of the strength of player who challenges me. If they're a 2000 playing their first game I don't want to get penalised (if I lose) as if I'd lost against a 1200. I'll play a 2000 with a 2000 rating or a 1200 with a 1200 rating, just not a 2000 with a 1200 rating!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree