changing approach to chess

changing approach to chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
27 May 13

Originally posted by hamworld
I guess I try to learn from my mistakes. "next time, don't make that move, or play this move to avoid getting into that bad position"

If I'm studying chess, it's probably either openings or endgames...
I think this is the best approach. I wouldn't worry about the numbers too much, as it's the quality of the games that matter.

Sometimes you will get better but still lose, and it's worthwhile to appreciate that, even if you lost, it was a better game than what you were playing previously. Going from "Oh $#%# I hung my queen" to "%$#$^, my d6 pawn is weak and I have a hole on d5" is progress, even if it does not show up in the 1's and 0's.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
27 May 13

I guess I try to learn from my mistakes. "next time, don't make that move, or play this move to avoid getting into that bad position"

It sounds like you have a handle on the playing while improving agenda.
Do you do tactical problems and end game puzzles as well as mate in 2-5 problems? There are also a myriad of books people recommend.

h

Moves
27 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
It sounds like you have a handle on the playing while improving agenda.
Do you do tactical problems and end game puzzles as well as mate in 2-5 problems? There are also a myriad of books people recommend.
No, I don't do tactical problems. Since I'm no good at them, I would prefer to work on the ability to calculate tactics or at least make sure I don't blunder a piece hanging. I've lost too many games because I didn't concentrate long enough at the right times. I figure if I can notice 2 pieces on the same rank, I can say to myself "what if we can pin one of them and such?" Other than that, I think the rest is creativity and visualization which are skills I'm lacking in the moment. I get tired of sacrificing pieces to put 1800s on the ropes only for me to lose because my position wasn't strong enough *before* I went for the attack. Emotionally draining.

I guess another weakness of mine is time management. if I spend too much time in the opening I end up not having enough time to calculate the tactics properly.

Ok, I have a question: How do you decide which is more important to study after a game where one had crappy opening play, crappy middlegame play, and crappy endgame play and still managed to draw?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
27 May 13
1 edit

OK, there it is. Study tactics. Endgames are fine, too, but I recommend the most common ones: Rook endings and King and Pawn endings.

Opening study can wait.

h

Moves
27 May 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
OK, there it is. Study tactics. Endgames are fine, too, but I recommend the most common ones: Rook endings and King and Pawn endings.

Opening study can wait.
Hmm, what about knight + king endings with pawns?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
27 May 13

Hmm, what about knight + king endings with pawns?
I read that Knight endings largely follow the same rules as King and Pawn endings. So, study the former and the latter goes with it.