1. e4
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 12:21
    Incredible.

I'm not to fond of anyone who post a just link with no explanantion
    as to what it is or where you are going.
    So below is the link (the proof)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/chess-group-calls-meeting-over-cheating-allegation-1.1370812

And here is the text to save you going there. (gardaí is the Irish Police force.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chess group calls meeting over cheating allegation

The Irish Chess Union is to hold a meeting of its executive committee
    today after gardaí were called to a top chess tournament following claims
    a 16-year-old boy was caught cheating.

A row started after the Dublin schoolboy, who was said to have gone to the
    toilet “at least 20 times” during a game, was allegedly caught using an Android
    device to check his next move on a chess engine.

The teenager’s opponent, Gabriel Mirza (47), who was expelled from the
    tournament because of his reaction, admits he pulled the schoolboy from a toilet
    cubicle at the Metropole Hotel in Cork, but insists he never assaulted him.

The prize money on offer at the Cork Chess Congress on Sunday was €400,
    the second biggest prize in Irish chess.

“It is a very serious incident. I was stopped from wining the tournament.
    But the main problem is about cheating. I showed to the chess world the truth.
    I am waiting to see the reaction from the Irish Chess Union,”
    said Romanian-born Gabriel Mirza, who has been living in Limerick for the past 15 years.

“After each move this guy was leaving the room. I went a few times around to
    where his pals were playing, but he was not there. I went to the toilet where there
    was just one locked. I entered in the next cubical, climbed on the toilet to watch
    over to the one which was occupied, and surprise he [was there] with an android
    checking the moves with a chess engine.”

A qualified PE teacher, Mr Mirza said his first reaction was to jump over the inside
    of the cubical but he wanted a witness so he went straight to the controller and
    asked him to “follow me immediately”.

“I just grabbed him from the toilet, I did not assault him. I made a citizen’s arrest
    as I had witnessed him committing a crime of dishonesty.”

The Romanian national who has Irish citizenship said he gave a statement to gardaí.

Gerry Graham, arbiter for the Cork Congress, expelled Mr Mirza from the
    tournament over his reaction.

In an email to Mr Mirza explaining why he was not allowed to play in the final
    round of the tournament, Mr Graham quoted article 12 of the Laws of Chess which
    governs the conduct of players and states players shall take no action that brings
    the game into disrepute.
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 12:30
    Looks like he was caught with his trousers down. This seems a typical reaction for the power mad against a whistle blower.
  3. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 13:11
    The whistle-blower got booted???????????????? No action against cheater??????????????? Most epic WTF ever??????????????????
  4. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 14:11
    so yet another gets s??t as?ed! having been thoroughly cut up chewed and spat out at several real time in the flesh tournaments ,and God only knows by how many online game rulebreakers chess and others , I have simply accepted the realities of competitive life! Be you good bad or just plain run of the mill,somebody somewhere wants to win at any cost! Money is the greatest motive and a thousand others of lesser value. If humans could be a little less human,it might not quite be the incurable epidemic which it is and will remain?------Alr
  5. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 14:42
    with today's technology you wouldn't need to go to the toilet to cheat silly kid
  6. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 15:32
    Reminds me of Kramnik - Topalov.

I don't think Kramnik cheated though. I think he did it as a psychological tool to unnerve Topalov.
  7. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 15:39
    it is a fact! I now have a responsive by fly wire voice activated chess micro computer cleverly concealed just under the inside skin of my left nostril,and when I desire assistance I simply rub my nose as though it were merely somewhat ichy,and the move suggestion is sent directly to the correct brain cells.It does have the drawback of burning out a few unrelated cells of course,but no technology is quite perfect,is it?--Alr
  8. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 18:291 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

A qualified PE teacher, Mr Mirza said his first reaction was to jump over the inside
    of the cubical but he wanted a witness so he went straight to the controller and
    asked him to “follow me immediately”.

“I just grabbed him from the toilet, I did not assault him. I made a citizen’s arrest
    as I had witnessed him committing a crime of dishonesty ...[text shortened]... onduct of players and states players shall take no action that brings
    the game into disrepute.
    Most incredible, on several levels.

It will be amusing to hear how the whistleblower brought the game into disrepute.
    In particular, who called the gardai and under what circumstances.

On the other hand:
    "a crime of dishonesty" - a new one on me, especially leading to a citizen's arrest.
    Ummm. I can really see that one working peacefully. Perhaps a quiet word to the
    arbiter and a wait and a wait and see for the next few moves might have given a better result.

It is easy to be wise after the fact, but a citizen arresting an unwilling teenager may have been
    disruptive to the chess tournament, and I can see the logic in neither playing in the next round.

It is not mentioned whether or not the teenager was banned from the final round.
    edit: spelling 🙁
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 19:081 edit
    according to this site, the game was won by Gabriel Mirza.

http://www.icu.ie/misc/games/sm/corkcongress2013/major/

and [admin edit] didn't play in the last round.

Probably a difficult situation for all parties including the organizers and arbiters.

edit :admin edit to remove name of minor involved.
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable

Probably a difficult situation for all parties including the organizers and arbiters.
    Thanks for that link.
    It is obvious from the ratings that the "masters" was a different section to the "major", and that the prize money statement may not have been the whole truth.
    Also the statement "I was stopped from wining the tournament" comes into context. It is true
    that G. Mirza was second after 5 rounds, but not 100% clear to me that a win against F. O'Neill would have
    given him the head of the table, as losing the first game is bad for BH points.

The Belfast Telegraph and the (Irish) Independent also have the story.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/player-hauls-cheating-chess-teen-out-of-toilet-cubicle-29217433.html
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/player-hauls-cheating-chess-teen-out-of-toilet-cubicle-29217547.html

"Player hauls 'cheating' chess teen out of toilet cubicle"
    " ... kicked in the cubicle door at the Metropole Hotel and hauled his opponent out before organisers of the tournament intervened. He said he was proud of what he did."
    "I shouted and disturbed other players from their games because I was mad."

Sorry mate, I would have banned you too (if the reports are true). There is a difference between whistleblowing and trying to shoot your employer. Attacking a 16-year old does not win you many friends either.
  11. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 21:191 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable

mucho gracias mein herr and or fraulein 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 21:351 edit
    Originally posted by gezza
    Thanks for that link.
    It is obvious from the ratings that the "masters" was a different section to the "major", and that the prize money statement may not have been the whole truth.
    Also the statement "I was stopped from wining the tournament" comes into context. It is true
    that G. Mirza was second after 5 rounds, but not 100% clear to me that a win agains hoot your employer. Attacking a 16-year old does not win you many friends either.
    you are considered an adult at 16, you can get married in Scotland, have children, etc etc, I wish the dude had kicked his cheating butt.
  13. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 22:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    "I shouted and disturbed other players from their games..."

you are considered an adult at 16, you can get married in Scotland, have children, etc etc, I wish the dude had kicked his cheating butt.
    Aye. Allright. But he should have done it quietly.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 22:35
    Originally posted by gezza
    Aye. Allright. But he should have done it quietly.
    He he, like the police used to do in Glasgow, take you up a close (tenement) and say you fell down the stairs trying to run away 🙂
  15. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 10:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    He he, like the police used to do in Glasgow, take you up a close (tenement) and say you fell down the stairs trying to run away 🙂
    Maybe he had that experience as he played in last year's Scottish Championships.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree