1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 01:213 edits
    I've just been doing some training and came across this game by Bu, Xiangzhi where he achieves a position where he can deliver checkmate with one bishop. Seeing as this is really REALLY rare i thought i'd post it. A rather tidy game, it has to be said!! 😀

EDIT: Hold on he can't deliver mate actually. White maneuvers the bishop to d7 once the King has arrived to support the pawn. Anyway, a great ending!

2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I've just been doing some training and came across this game by Bu, Xiangzhi where he achieves a position where he can deliver checkmate with one bishop. Seeing as this is really REALLY rare i thought i'd post it. A rather tidy game, it has to be said!! 😀

EDIT: Hold on he can't deliver mate actually. White maneuvers the bishop to d7 once the King has ...[text shortened]... Bxa6+ Kd8 56.Kb7 {..Ke8 57.Kc8 ..Nxe6 58.dxe6 ..Kf8 59.Kd8, etc.. What a great ending! } [/pgn]
    Delivering mate with ONLY a King and Bishop on the board [for your side] is rare. If you've a few pawns to help out, that's commonplace.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 17:02
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Delivering mate with ONLY a King and Bishop on the board [for your side] is rare. If you've a few pawns to help out, that's commonplace.
    Yes i had a brain freeze, i missed that black had ..Nxe6, but even without that move delivering mate with a lone bishop isn't possible. What a great ending though! White literally transposes into an ending right out of the opening and just wins! A very impressive game!!
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 22:42
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Yes i had a brain freeze, i missed that black had ..Nxe6, but even without that move delivering mate with a lone bishop isn't possible. What a great ending though! White literally transposes into an ending right out of the opening and just wins! A very impressive game!!
    Seems black was hoping to simply sit back and try not to make any needless weaknesses. Wonder if he could have held if he did not let white grab so much space at the end. That N was so miserable on f8; once it got stuck there you could just tell black was going to die.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 23:54
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Seems black was hoping to simply sit back and try not to make any needless weaknesses. Wonder if he could have held if he did not let white grab so much space at the end. That N was so miserable on f8; once it got stuck there you could just tell black was going to die.
    Yes i think black really messed up when he trapped in his knight, but it might be forced, it is hard to tell exactly where he went wrong. THIS is why GM's go so warm and fuzzy about the bishop pair.. 😉
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 05:29
    Black was clearly out of moves when he was just moving the bishop between a1 and h8. Nice little zugzwang at the end though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree