1. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    28 May '07 09:55
    I am presently rated at 1394 i am thinking of buying reassess your chess by j silman,what do people think of it and why? cheers
  2. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    28 May '07 10:32
    great book, get it now.... nuff said.
  3. USA
    Moves
    28 May '07 21:39
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    I am presently rated at 1394 i am thinking of buying reassess your chess by j silman,what do people think of it and why? cheers
    It's a terrible "chees(e)" book. I like cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, etc. 😀
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 May '07 22:091 edit
    I know this probably has been brought up a billion times in the threads, but as a addicted chess player rated between 1600 and 1800 CFC I would like to know a good book for the middle game.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 May '07 22:42
    Originally posted by h9i9j9
    I know this probably has been brought up a billion times in the threads, but as a addicted chess player rated between 1600 and 1800 CFC I would like to know a good book for the middle game.
    It would probably be better to start a separate thread for your question instead of possibly hijacking this thread.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 May '07 04:311 edit
    You may find the following article helpful in determining what chess book you should purchase next.

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman06.pdf

The article may also help answer the question posed by h9i9j9
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 May '07 05:38
    silmans book is very good....by far the best out of the ones i own..
  8. London
    Moves
    29 May '07 05:591 edit
    I have this book and there's no doubt it's an excellent book...but a little too advanced for me at the mo...you might get more immediate benefit from a good tactics books. Then when you're on top of the tactics you should get more from Silmans book. I've been round the block on the question of what to study and have come back to what I was told in the first place: - study tactics and endgame's. Of course this is not a suggestion to study these topics exclusively just a suggestion to make these a priority.

Yasser Seirawan has a book on tactics and a book on endgames - both are good value. Right now I'm working through John Nunn's: Learn Chess Tactics (published by Gambit) and I find it excellent.

Edit: Just seen the thread below where Ragnorak posted this website: http://www.chesstactics.org/

looks good!
  9. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    29 May '07 06:10
    Originally posted by h9i9j9
    How to Reasses your Chess is good for the middle game too. It teaches you how to come up with the right plan for the given position. It's not just for beginners.

To the OP, its one of the best chess books written imo. It will help your game immeasurably.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree