Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 15 Oct '13 14:42
    The rule used to be that you had to ensure your mobile phone
    was switched off.

    As of the 1st July 2014 you are nor even allowed to take
    a mobile phone into a tournament hall.

    "During play, a player is forbidden to have a mobile phone and/or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue.
    If it is evident that a player brought such a device into the playing venue, he shall lose the game."
  2. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    15 Oct '13 14:47
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The rule used to be that you had to ensure your mobile phone
    was switched off.

    As of the 1st July 2014 you are nor even allowed to take
    a mobile phone into a tournament hall.

    "During play, a player is forbidden to have a mobile phone and/or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue.
    If it is evident that a player brought such a device into the playing venue, he shall lose the game."
    Wow, Paulson didn't waste time!
  3. 15 Oct '13 14:47 / 1 edit
    Two seasons ago I was playing someone who, when it was their move, whipped out their mobile phone and started tapping away at it! He was extremely annoyed when I asked him to turn it off for the duration of the game and he played a couple of aggressive looking moves to show me how angry he was. Unfortunately one of them dropped a pawn and he resigned ten moves later, at which point he was free to play with his phone for the rest of the evening.

    Regarding Paulson - what's the betting that he will never make another post on the English Chess Forum now that he has been safely voted in as President? It's all going to end in tears.
  4. 15 Oct '13 15:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Two seasons ago I was playing someone who, when it was their move, whipped out their mobile phone and started tapping away at it! He was extremely annoyed when I asked him to turn it off for the duration of the game and he played a couple of aggressive looking moves to show me how angry he was. Unfortunately one of them dropped a pawn and he resigned ten mo ...[text shortened]... h Chess Forum now that he has been safely voted in as President? It's all going to end in tears.
    My second more long-term initiative will be to develop new event formats to make chess more of a spectator sport and chess events more festive.

    cant be so bad me thinks
  5. 15 Oct '13 15:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    My second more long-term initiative will be to develop new event formats to make chess more of a spectator sport and chess events more festive.

    cant be so bad me thinks
    Sounds like more Chess Boxing (or possibly Chess Boxing Day) to me.
  6. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    15 Oct '13 15:24
    Originally posted by Fat Lady

    Regarding Paulson - what's the betting that he will never make another post on the English Chess Forum now that he has been safely voted in as President? It's all going to end in tears.
    I don't use the English chess forum, was he active before the election? I'd be interested to know what he was saying.

    Personally I'm quite keen on his appointment. Chess has no profile what so ever in this country. Having someone with a little bit of media savvy can't be a bad thing. I can't see how he could run it any worse than it has been run to late..
  7. 15 Oct '13 15:30
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Sounds like more Chess Boxing (or possibly Chess Boxing Day) to me.
    The last London chess classic was awesome
  8. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    15 Oct '13 15:31
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The rule used to be that you had to ensure your mobile phone
    was switched off.

    As of the 1st July 2014 you are nor even allowed to take
    a mobile phone into a tournament hall.

    "During play, a player is forbidden to have a mobile phone and/or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue.
    If it is evident that a player brought such a device into the playing venue, he shall lose the game."
    That's what we need in the US. Unfortunately, I think the U$ Che$$ Federation ha$ buddied up with e-$coring device maker$. Our rules now specifically allow certain dedicated electronic devices as well as mobile software. FAIL.
  9. 15 Oct '13 15:33 / 1 edit
    Paulson gives me the impression of being a complete windbag and I doubt if he will do a single useful thing for English Chess. However you are quite right in saying that the ECF has been run very badly recently (for ever?) and so perhaps it is a no-risk vote - even if he makes a horrible mess of it, we won't have lost anything worth keeping.

    The one thing which I really don't like is that Paulson seems to think that it's perfectly fine to deal with Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.
  10. 15 Oct '13 15:37
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That's what we need in the US. Unfortunately, I think the U$ Che$$ Federation ha$ buddied up with e-$coring device maker$. Our rules now specifically allow certain dedicated electronic devices as well as mobile software. FAIL.
    We're allowed some of those as well (MonRoi Personal Chess Manager is the only one I've seen). I was quite shocked when I first say a kid using one in a chess tournament and I went to check with the controller that it was OK, but he assured me that it was within the rules. They are supposed to be safe because they only do one thing - record the moves (which makes me wonder how it justifies the enormous price tag).

    Allowing mobile phones with some sort of move recording app installed is just asking for trouble!
  11. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    15 Oct '13 15:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    We're allowed some of those as well (MonRoi Personal Chess Manager is the only one I've seen). I was quite shocked when I first say a kid using one in a chess tournament and I went to check with the controller that it was OK, but he assured me that it was within the rules. They are supposed to be safe because they only do one thing - record the moves (which ...[text shortened]... llowing mobile phones with some sort of move recording app installed is just asking for trouble!
    Even dedicated hardware can be modified. I have done it with video game consoles in the past. The instructions were found through a simple Google search.
  12. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    15 Oct '13 15:49
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The one thing which I really don't like is that Paulson seems to think that it's perfectly fine to deal with Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.
    Does he have a choice? Until someone else out spends Ilyumzhinov and gets all those pacific Island votes then we're stuck with the guy. Perhaps Paulson is just being pragmatic and not picking fights he can't win until he stands a punchers chance..
  13. 16 Oct '13 10:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The last London chess classic was awesome
    But Paulsen / Agon had nothing to do with the London Chess Classic - that was run by Malcolm Pein. Malcolm Pein is a fantastic organiser and a Great Guy. I'd love it if he had some sort of role in the ECF (the next president?) but not if that meant he had less time to organise events like the London Chess Classic.
  14. 16 Oct '13 11:40 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    But Paulsen / Agon had nothing to do with the London Chess Classic - that was run by Malcolm Pein. Malcolm Pein is a fantastic organiser and a Great Guy. I'd love it if he had some sort of role in the ECF (the next president?) but not if that meant he had less time to organise events like the London Chess Classic.
    sure, perhaps they will learn from its success 😀 anyhow can I ask you a chess question? it concerns moves like whites thirteenth 13.Ndb5, why are moves like this made, is it simply to put some pressure on blacks position, it doesn't really threaten anything in itself me thinks, its as if white is just kinda fishing around, if you know what i mean, like a feint in boxing.

    White: Ildar Khairullin

    Black: Mohamad Al-Modiahki

    Chigorin Memorial 2013

  15. 16 Oct '13 11:59
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    But Paulsen / Agon had nothing to do with the London Chess Classic - that was run by Malcolm Pein. Malcolm Pein is a fantastic organiser and a Great Guy. I'd love it if he had some sort of role in the ECF (the next president?) but not if that meant he had less time to organise events like the London Chess Classic.
    here is Nigel on the appointment

    YouTube&feature=youtu.be