2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 18:481 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    'Tis a sad sad day. 🙁
    Thoughts:

1) I didn't do it!

2) If they were Schiller books, did you properly thank the thief?

3) I know you're bummed out, but you brought up the subject - We want details! (short of making any direct accusations by name, of course).

4) If there's any karma, the books will be too difficult for the thief.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:02
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Thoughts:

1) I didn't do it!

2) If they were Schiller books, did you properly thank the thief?

3) I know you're bummed out, but you brought up the subject - We want details! (short of making any direct accusations by name, of course).

4) If there's any karma, the books will be too difficult for the thief.
    Alas! The only book I have left is an opening book by schiller on the catalan! :'(

The worst part is that it must've been somebody in my club... a club I started. They got my Euwe Middle Game set, How to Reassess your Chess, Purdy on the Endgame, Chess, 303 Tricky Checkmates and The Art of Attack. I brought the books for them to let them leaf through and at the end of the day they were all missing. I'm thinking of closing down the club.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:11
    Alas! The only book I have left is an opening book by schiller on the catalan! :'(

The worst part is that it must've been somebody in my club... a club I started. They got my Euwe Middle Game set, How to Reassess your Chess, Purdy on the Endgame, Chess, 303 Tricky Checkmates and The Art of Attack. I brought the ...[text shortened]... rough and at the end of the day they were all missing. I'm thinking of closing down the club.
    Some pretty good books, that does really suck.

My condolences.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:14
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Some pretty good books, that does really suck.

My condolences.
    Its not impossible to replace them I just can't believe one of the guys or gals at the club would do that.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:24
    Its not impossible to replace them I just can't believe one of the guys or gals at the club would do that.
    I've heard that about 2 to 5 percent of the population are not to be trusted. (probably varies from region to region.) I suspect it's not unusual to have one or two of those types in most clubs.

There's one of those types in my club (imho). Of course, you can't say anything publicly (unless they're caught red-handed), but reputations eventually get around, if you know what I mean.
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 20:53
    How many club members? Were the books secured?
  8. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 21:36
    commiserations.

look up on ebay and set a trap
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 23:07
    I won't try to trap them. If they really think they need the books that much more than I do then they can just keep them.
  10. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 23:54
    you got to admit it's funny that they stole everything but the Schiller book...

But I'm sorry for your loss.

But I'm proud of you as a person, if someone wanted to steal most people on here's books they'd have to use a bus to do it.
  11. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 00:10
    'Tis a sad sad day. 🙁
    Just put a message out to all club members

"Some books have appear to have been borrowed on a permanent
    basis. I would like these books back before the next chess club meeting. If the books are not returned I will have no alternative but to involve the police, telling them who the offending people are."

You never know it may just work, if the guilty party/parties think you know who they are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree