Chess Club Operations

Chess Club Operations

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Feb 07

How does you chess club deal with theft and security?

Our club just got robbed last week. There was a junior tournament on Sat which ended around 12 pm. There was another fun tournament starting at 1 pm. Everyone started leaving and 1 person was asked to watch the club. Apparently during the 10 min he was left alone, He took the brand new computer, monitor, and $20 from the cash box.

When the next players arrived, they found the back door open.

We moved to a new location recently and I've only been there once but it's in the heart of downtown and basically anyone from the streets can walk in. Our club is very relax, and everything is provide - chess sets, clocks, books. No one really wacth the door or equipment. Basically someone of the street could come in, grab a book, money, clock and walk out.

They are now thinking about installing a door buzzer like our all club had.

How does your club prevent this?

DI
I Love U

LaLa Land

Moves
04 Feb 07

Seems pretty obvious to not trust some random guy with all your stuff.

c

USA

Moves
04 Feb 07

I never really thought about that. People are generally honest in our area and robbery never seems to have been a problem. Our club is small though, and the front desk is near the door so I guess it's always being watched. Perhaps installing video cameras, alarms, and etc. would help, though it is unfortunate that it there is even the possibility of it being necessary.

DI
I Love U

LaLa Land

Moves
04 Feb 07

Where is your new club and how much money is in there 🙂

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dies Irae
Where is your new club and how much money is in there 🙂
It's sad really. I don't understand why someone would be left alone there, especailly if the was new (that's what I read from our newsgroup).

Our new club is in downtown area. I only been there once so I don't know to much about the area.

There are two big rooms. Picture 1 large room and put a wall inbetween to split into 2 and then put a arch in the middle of the wall. So there is no doorway.

The games are played in the front room and then entrance is in the back and I guess no one really sits near the door and sees who comes and goes and whats in their hands.

From what I read, people wander in from the streets, have a look around and then go away. There isn't a lot of money there, just change money for the snacks in the fridge.

A shame really.

S

Moves
04 Feb 07

its obvious that more people just need to be staffed. at a club near me there are always a couple of people working.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Feb 07

Originally posted by Stockton
its obvious that more people just need to be staffed. at a club near me there are always a couple of people working.
Staffed as in permenant workers?

We do volunteering and the director gets $3 a hour just to open up the club and run the tournaments. No real responsiblities.

S

Moves
04 Feb 07

like permanent staff, but the club is pretty big and requires plenty of staff.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Feb 07

Originally posted by Stockton
like permanent staff, but the club is pretty big and requires plenty of staff.
Well our club has between 10-60 ppl. Mostly on saturday afternoon it's not to busy. They have money but not that much to higher permanent staff but it's a decent idea.

Thanks.

U

Moves
04 Feb 07

Do the players pay a fee to play? Membership would probably weed out some of the more dishonest folk. Plus the money could go towards some form of security.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Feb 07

Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
Do the players pay a fee to play? Membership would probably weed out some of the more dishonest folk. Plus the money could go towards some form of security.
$20 a year and first visit is free.

In the future, they should make sure that one person is always at the desk near the door watching you comes in and out.

Often the director plays in the tourneys also on Sat, since it's a small crowd 10 player about and you never know who is coming in and out of the club.

From what I read, it seemed like this guy from the street was interest in chess, he sat around and chatted watched some games. Had no intention of stealing but when he was left alone with all that stuff, it was to tempting and out the door he went with the stuff he could grab.