1. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    08 Mar '10 21:00
    Hi all,
    Now then don't laugh! I have a cheap talking professor chess computer from argos and I was wondering what its actual elo rating would be ?..... I am new to chess and not very good but I am getting quite good at beating the chess computer on its 'normal' level. I have got used to its responses and can therefore plan my game -wish I was half as good on here - real players walk all over my weak play!
    So if anyone has an idea of its rating I would be interested in knowing....
    Cheers.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 11:30
    Originally posted by gooses
    Hi all,
    Now then don't laugh! I have a cheap talking professor chess computer from argos and I was wondering what its actual elo rating would be ?..... I am new to chess and not very good but I am getting quite good at beating the chess computer on its 'normal' level. I have got used to its responses and can therefore plan my game -wish I was half as good on ...[text shortened]... k play!
    So if anyone has an idea of its rating I would be interested in knowing....
    Cheers.
    hi, if you post the make and model it should be possible to try to ascertain its rating. I also learned to play chess on a little computer magnetic thingy, thankfully it never talked, but used to beep incessantly when it thought that i had made a blunder, poor thing doesn't understand sacrifice. It was great for you could replay the matches of world champions and try to guess their move, 100 Fischer games, 100 Kasparov games, 100 Karpov games and about ten of different players who tried to take on IBMs deep blue. Normally they play about 1200-1400 level i think. The better ones play at strong club level 1700 - 1900 and the awesome ones play 2000+
  3. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 16:57
    chess academy talking chess professor I think by Ryko?....something like that.......any idea's?
    Cheers.
  4. gumtree
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 17:23
    The Overtom Chess Computer Museum may be able to give you an idea how strong your machine is.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tluif/chescom/Engindex.html

Have a browse and see if you can find your machine or something similar.
  5. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 18:30
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    The Overtom Chess Computer Museum may be able to give you an idea how strong your machine is.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tluif/chescom/Engindex.html

Have a browse and see if you can find your machine or something similar.
    Thanks so much for the link. Found my old Fidelity there:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tluif/chescom/EngCc7.html

I loved that old thing. Pity it split down the middle from somebody repeatedly throwing it across the room. Ahem...
  6. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 19:25
    Thanks for the link!...... the one that looks the most like mine is the Karpov chess+
    It says for begginer to weak player lol!....that's me alright ha ha!
    Anyway what would that translate to as a elo rating?.... one of the reasons I am asking is if
    I upgrade eventually I don't want to go overboard and buy something that beats me to a pulp everytime I play...
    Cheers.
  7. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 12:09
    Originally posted by gooses
    I don't want to go overboard and buy something that beats me to a pulp everytime I play
    Computers do that to us all these days - even world champions 🙁
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Computers do that to us all these days - even world champions 🙁
    The kind of chess computer I want is one that adapts its level to mine. I want mine to win 60% of all games even if I get better. I want mine to do mistakes that I can discover and use. I want mine to do somewhat unsound sacs. I want it to play as humans do. I want it to give me opportunities for me to win and not always play at its top. But I don't want to change its level myself, it shoud monitor my level and adapt transarantly.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 12:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I want it to give me opportunities for me to win and not always play at its top. But I don't want to change its level myself, it shoud monitor my level and adapt transarantly.
    Gee you don't want much.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 19:43
    The kind of chess computer I want is one that adapts its level to mine. I want mine to win 60% of all games even if I get better. I want mine to do mistakes that I can discover and use. I want mine to do somewhat unsound sacs. I want it to play as humans do. I want it to give me opportunities for me to win and not always play at its top. But I don't want to change its level myself, it shoud monitor my level and adapt transarantly.
    You could probably hire an IM instructor to do that job a lot cheaper🙂
  11. Joined
    08 Mar '10
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 03:01
    I can't verify how well it plays, but Shredder for iPhone/iPod Touch does this. It starts off easy, and it readjusts its estimate of your rating and it's own rating after each game. I beat it handily the first couple of games (starting at 800 ELO), and within 4-5 it starts becoming more challenging and I start to lose occasionally. It makes mistakes periodically as well.

You can also easily export your games for later analysis on your computer.

Not a true separate chess computer, but why buy something separate? With this you can always upgrade or buy new software...
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 00:11
    Fritz on sparring mode does all that.
  13. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 09:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You could probably hire an IM instructor to do that job a lot cheaper🙂
    Fritz 12 has sparring modes and training levels that do just that. It's an awesome piece of kit. My only complaint is that the rated games you can play against it are very repetitive. Absolutely no variation in the computers opening book at all! I may be missing a setting or something here though. Anybody help?
  14. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 09:371 edit
    I love the Tal quote in your profile Talisman:-)

Do you have a link plz?
  15. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 14:06
    Originally posted by peacedog
    I love the Tal quote in your profile Talisman:-)

Do you have a link plz?
    Yes i'm a great lover of Tal's games. trying to copy his style has got me into all sorts of trouble on more than one occasion. I now play like me. the best way i think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree