1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 00:33
    I just got Starting Out: King's Indian and Grunfeld.

Anyone got any e-books. I wouldn't mind read some opening books now, kinda working on my opening rep.
  2. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 00:36
    Originally posted by RahimK

Anyone got any e-books. I wouldn't mind read some opening books now, kinda working on my opening rep.
    emule is a good place to find those. Theres also a torrent with 100+ books
  3. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 00:36
    http://www.mediamax.com/peart555 Often down...
  4. USA
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 23:23

I seem to remember you saying you had "retired" from chess and were going to teach, but not study anymore. If you have "come out of retirement", good for you. Regarding your question, I don't know, but if you want a book, buy the paper version at Amazon or at a store
  5. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 00:18

So then you sent money to the publisher of those two books, Everyman. Or did you track down Joe Gallagher and Jacob Aagaard's home addresses and send money directly to them?
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 00:20
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    So then you sent money to the publisher of those two books, Everyman. Or did you track down Joe Gallagher and Jacob Aagaard's home addresses and send money directly to them?
    No x 2. Found them online.
  7. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 00:29
    No x 2. Found them online.
    Right. And that's not theft how exactly?
  8. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 00:45
    Looks like the internet police are after you.
  9. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 02:12
    But the intenet police would be happy to know that I just ordered reassess your chess from amazon.
  10. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 13:29
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Looks like the internet police are after you.
    Nope. I just like to hear people rationalize this type of thing. Sure, I have a few PDF's of rare material that simply is not available for purchase. I also own a few books like Suba's 'Dynamic Chess Strategy' or Lane's "Ultimate Colle' that are going for $100 and up on Amazon. These books are out of print and $100 is not really a reasonable purchase price. I consider the unavailability of these two terrific books to be the publisher and/or author's fault. If someone wanted to photocopy either of these two books for personal use I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with that. Maybe that's rationalization on my part, I don't know.

However, downloading scanned copies of copyrighted, readily available, and reasonably priced books is theft. No real gray area there. You are taking money out of the publisher and author's pockets. Are the cops going to break down your door, of course not. If you can sleep at night then great. I guess I was just brought up differently.

If you want some free material there are thousands of pages of it here:

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/archives.htm
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    Nope. I just like to hear people rationalize this type of thing. Sure, I have a few PDF's of rare material that simply is not available for purchase. I also own a few books like Suba's 'Dynamic Chess Strategy' or Lane's "Ultimate Colle' that are going for $100 and up on Amazon. These books are out of print and $100 is not really a reasonable purchase are thousands of pages of it here:

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/archives.htm
    I once took a priceless art print, but don't consider it as theft because it was so expensive and exclusive. 🙄

D
  12. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 13:56
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I once took a priceless art print, but don't consider it as theft because it was so expensive and exclusive.

D
    😉

I just checked and it seems I have one. A 12 page pamphlet by Basman on the Elephant Gambit. Anyone know Basman's address? How much is 75p anyway?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree