1. Joined
    11 Jan '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 23:34
    Ok in an effort to improve , I have played hundreds of games against Shredder 11 , Fritz 9 + 11 , and Rybka 3 , and have only managed 1 win against Shredder and a draw with Fritz 9. The rest of the time I am taking an ass kicking. Does anyone beat these engines??
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 23:48
    ur rating is sub 1200, there is NO WAY you can beat any engine, you are lying. I'm rated 1600 and I have not even been CLOSE to making a draw with an engine. And I'm not talking about good engines like Fritz or Rybka, I'm talking about CMX.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 23:56
    If your computer is as old and as bad as mine, you'd probably win a few games. I used to play the GNU engine that came with the version of winboard I downloaded and beat it once. I was pumped after beating it. I've played it numerous times since then and haven't come close to defeating it since.
  4. Joined
    03 Nov '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 00:08
    I beat Chess Titans, the game that comes with Windows. Of course, I only had it set to 7 on its 1-10 difficulty setting.
  5. Joined
    11 Jan '09
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 00:15
    I saved the Shredder 11 win so it can be loaded and viewed.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 00:18
    Originally posted by dirtysniper
    I saved the Shredder 11 win so it can be loaded and viewed.
    you haven't beaten the actual engine. you have probably beaten it in friend mode or some other handicap option.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 01:34
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    you haven't beaten the actual engine. you have probably beaten it in friend mode or some other handicap option.
    Agreed, also probably taking back a lot of moves and using hint for suggested moves. No way he could have beat Shredder or Fritz. No way.
  8. Hollow earth
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 02:08
    I scored 2 draws vs Fritz at full strength.One was a 3 fold repetition of which I don't know why it agreed to it.Never got round to figuring it out,I must've had some serious threat that I failed to spot.Hm,must check if I still have that game.
    Rest of my attempts to beat it all ended in rather short,bloody disasters 😳
  9. Joined
    11 Jan '09
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 02:13
    So the just of it is the engines cannot be beat? My apologies if my post came across as trying to brag or be untruthful , that was not my intention. I am unsure of the ELO on Shredder 11 , but I made no changes before starting the game. The draw with Fritz 9 shows the date, and the ELO as 2930. I did not take back any moves or use hints. I am not posting this as an attempt to brag , only seek information on the engines. My ELO is what it is and honestley I don't believe I would beat anyone 1400 and up , thus the reason for continuing to play against these engines.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 03:213 edits
    They can be beat, but generally only by a very strong human player.

Edit: Judging from this game where you had white, you are probably not strong enough to beat a top engine like Fritz on its strongest level:

If you make this many tactical mistakes in a game against a machine, it will eat you alive, much as black did this game [not that I am accusing black of anything! - you made this very easy for him]
  11. Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 05:11
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Fritz 9 is rated 2812. Fritz 11 is rated at 2919. Shredder 11 is rated at 3043. Rybka 3 is rated at 3066. The weakest of the bunch is rated 2812.

http://ssdf.bosjo.net/list.htm

Call up Anand and DEMAND a title shot if you can beat any of these three even once. In order to say you beat a chess program, IT MUST have been on its strongest settings at 40/120 controls. I think we have the next WCC in our midst.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 13:541 edit
    Originally posted by dirtysniper
    So the just of it is the engines cannot be beat? My apologies if my post came across as trying to brag or be untruthful , that was not my intention. I am unsure of the ELO on Shredder 11 , but I made no changes before starting the game. The draw with Fritz 9 shows the date, and the ELO as 2930. I did not take back any moves or use hints. I am not posting I would beat anyone 1400 and up , thus the reason for continuing to play against these engines.
    SwissGambit correctly points out that these strong engines can be beaten, but usually only by very strong players. It's almost impossible to determine what went on in those two games you didn't lose without analyzing the two games to determine whether you miraculously played like a GM (possible, but highly unlikely) or the engine somehow played badly (more likely).

When it comes to computers, sometimes strange things happen. It's conceivable that during those two games, your PC's CPU was being used for some other high-priority task and the CPU was only allocating a tiny portion of its power to the chess game.

Chess engines also have been known to blunder, but these blunders are extremely rare. In 2005, Shredder 9.0 played in the Copa Mercosur tournament in Argentina. Against Pablo Lafuente in the third round, Shredder inexplicably blundered away a piece and lost the game. No clear reason could be determined for the blunder. Hardware failure was eliminated as a possible cause, and it was speculated that a "one-in-a-million" hash table collision may have been the cause of the bizarre blunder.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2538

http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1121752102.shtml

http://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt/2005/07/computer-blunder.htm

http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess2/diary_15.htm
  13. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 03:23
    don't know if there lying i'm around 1200 - uchess at times and have beaten cm8000 (weirdly with the halloween attack.. it looses to it?? ) took a lot of practice and cheating at first . but these things still have glitches & if you practice hard on the same line it can lead to something .... & i use that line a lot now..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree