Chess Engines

Chess Engines

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
02 Jan 11

Any advice on a good program to get? I'm interested in a database and the chance to practice endings, as well as a good choice of board layouts and tutorials.
I liked Chessmaster but it seems to have gone mad since I changed my machine so I thought I might check out something new.

thanks in advance.

C

Moves
02 Jan 11

well for learning i would have to say chessmaster is your best bet.
can you describe what you mean by <i>I liked Chessmaster but it seems to have gone mad</i>? someone could probably help you with the tech side of things.

anyway other than chessmaster you can look maybe into fritz. it has some coaching elements.

w

Moves
02 Jan 11

Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
well for learning i would have to say chessmaster is your best bet.
can you describe what you mean by <i>I liked Chessmaster but it seems to have gone mad</i>? someone could probably help you with the tech side of things.

anyway other than chessmaster you can look maybe into fritz. it has some coaching elements.
Well, it seemed to just get stuck halfway through the download and then refuse to uninstall. I had to do a system restire to get rid of it. Same thing happened when i tried again.
I might try Fritz. Thanks.

MR

Moves
02 Jan 11
1 edit

Yeah, did the title screen change to ChessMadHatter?

What version of CM, and what OS? (Not that I could help, just curious.)

w

Moves
02 Jan 11

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Yeah, did the title screen change to ChessMadHatter?

What version of CM, and what OS? (Not that I could help, just curious.)
Chessmaster XI Grandmaster Edition (2008 I think).
I'll dig it out and try again later. It may be an issue with windows 7... so much else is.

MR

Moves
02 Jan 11

Originally posted by witchfyndergeneral
Chessmaster XI Grandmaster Edition (2008 I think).
I'll dig it out and try again later. It may be an issue with windows 7... so much else is.
I probably can't help, as I only have Chessmaster 10. But it does work on my Windows 7 machine as a 32-bit app with no compatibility tweaks needed.

Moves
04 Jan 11

I have both Chessmaster and Fritz. Chessmaster has better graphics but Fritz 11 has a huge database and several chess engines to choose from. You can pick up Fritz 11 for around $10. Plus if you like to hear your opponent talk smack, Fritz 11 can also be humorous.

j

Moves
04 Jan 11

You can get Chessmaster 9000 from Good Old Games for $6.99-- and they say it's compatible with Windows 7.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/chessmaster_9000

e

Moves
04 Jan 11

chessbase light is a free database. I downloaded it and is easily usable. I have not gone through what all you can actually do with it. But, it does seem good