1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 02:541 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi T.Rex & Fat Lady - two out of two at congress's - 100% success rate.
    (could have been higher but I was there to play chess)
    You need charisma - that's one thing you cannot get from a book.

Oh and don't tell them you play the London System -
    You'll never get laid that way. The London System and zilch charisma
    kind of go hand in hand.

Go to o go for it - do not sit back and oggle.
    Knock backs are like losses - you'll soon learn.
    I once jumped on a table, walked 50m to its end (sort of octoberfest type of situation), kneeled, smiled to the girl, she smiled back, and that was it. I probably said something, but I don't know what, and it didn't matter at that point anyway.

I'd stay away from any kind of 'clever lines', but you need to be noticed/remembered one way or another.
  2. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 03:46
    How about "Hi"...and go from there.

Dressed decently and higene -- can't ignore the basics.

Why not talk chess? It's an obvious connection point.

How about -- I see you play chess....what other interests do you have?

I never did get over the awkward stage of the first "hi" and for that matter, the first kiss. Been married 18 years and have three daughters -- so there's hope for everybody 🙂

Listen to the girl -- be yourself. And if who you really are is something no girl would ever want -- well, work on that first 🙂

Nonny
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 04:05
    Originally posted by nonnymoose
    How about "Hi"...and go from there.

Dressed decently and higene -- can't ignore the basics.

Why not talk chess? It's an obvious connection point.

How about -- I see you play chess....what other interests do you have?

I never did get over the awkward stage of the first "hi" and for that matter, the first kiss. Been married 18 years an ...[text shortened]... u really are is something no girl would ever want -- well, work on that first 🙂

Nonny
    Exactly.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 04:39
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    What do think about the theory that men who haven't had the pleasure of female company for a long time give off "desperation waves", which drive women away? Whenever I've been in a relationship I've had no trouble whatsoever chatting to (other) attractive women and now that I am happily married I have to take out injunction orders to stop the beautiful single women from disturbing me all the time.
    Absolutely.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 04:58
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Does anybody else ever get this problem when you see girls at a chess tournament and they are usually so young and pretty (not too young mind you, you cant catch me out that easily) and think it would be quite cool to go up and have a talk to them but not really know any good lines to break the ice. I dont really want to just talk about chess with ...[text shortened]... e rest of yous ever been in this situation but managed to succeed with the girl and impress her?
    When I am at a tournament I want to stay focused on the mental preparations. A tournament is not the time nor place to try to pick up girls if you want to play seriously.

Outside the tournament, or at the evening activities, then there is another thing. Then I find a female conversation quite refreshing to the mind.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 05:25
    Does anybody else ever get this problem when you see girls at a chess tournament and they are usually so young and pretty (not too young mind you, you cant catch me out that easily) and think it would be quite cool to go up and have a talk to them but not really know any good lines to break the ice. I dont really want to just talk about chess with ...[text shortened]... e rest of yous ever been in this situation but managed to succeed with the girl and impress her?
    One thing: Don't start the pickup routine in the middle of her game....
  7. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 06:09
    Two words: King's Gambit. It melts their panties off.
  8. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 09:33
    A friend of mine is a professional in this. For example, in the recent European Amateurs Championship in Czech republic, in the last, 9th, round he had a game against a woman from Ukraine. She was pretty handsome, around 25 (My friend is 40). When he sat to the table, his first question was: "Do you have serious intentions for this game?" to which she answered, "I don't know, what about you?". He answered: "Not too serious. Do you want to go out to the pub and have a drink?". They still played a few moves for a draw, while in the meantime the girl's sister came to the table to see if the guy's ok. She obviously accepted him, because all three of them went out (Even the arbiter was smiling when my friend was giving him the papers and telling the result). In the evening both of the girls went to his hotel room. He later told me that they were singing. Well, he had a guitar.

Anyway, I agree to Fabian's opinion. A tournament is not the place to meet girls. Club's for that (or the social evening if you are often in big tournaments).
  9. Joined
    11 May '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 11:07
    good lines to break the ice.
    How's about "Would you like to go out to Knight and Rook"
  10. e4
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 13:16
    I suppose the best thing to do is actually ask some of the
    girl chess players on this site what they look for and how they
    would like to be approached.

But there again I expect a lot of the girls on here do not want to expose themselves.
    (whoops. I had better re-phrase that).

I expect most of the girls on here masquerade as guys so they
    won't get any hassle.
    No1, Korch, Dragonfire, Squelchbelch, Russ and of course Robbie Carrobie.
    I think these are all girls.
  11. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 13:301 edit
    I suppose the best thing to do is actually ask some of the
    girl chess players on this site what they look for and how they
    would like to be approached.

But there again I expect a lot of the girls on here do not want to expose themselves.
    (whoops. I had better re-phrase that).

I expect most of the girls on here masquerade as guys so they
    won't g ...[text shortened]... ch, Dragonfire, Squelchbelch, Russ and of course Robbie Carrobie.
    Hey, how did you come up with this idea? Maybe you are a girl hiding herself from hassle?
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 13:36
    When I first saw Matthew Sadler, at a junior tournament when he can't have been aged more than 13, he looked just like a girl. I was very surprised as this was pre-Judit Polgar and girls just weren't as good at chess as boys, but this one was destroying all the very strong and much older boys (*) in an under 21 competition!

When I checked the leader board near the end and saw that "her" name was Matthew I started to have my doubts, but these were brushed aside when I saw "Matthew" enter the ladies toilets and later on brush her hair with a hairbrush between rounds! A girl called Matthew is unlikely, but a boy who uses the girls' loo and uses a hairbrush in public is even less likely.

I remain confused about the whole boy / girl thing to this day, and I blame Sadler for this.

(*) The only other competitors I can remember are Bob Eames, now a 200 or so player who I got to know quite well a few years later when I moved to London; and Ali Mortizavi, a very talented International Master who always slaughtered players lower than 200 with daring sacrificial attacks, but struggled against the elite. I think he's given up chess now.
  13. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 13:45
    No1, Korch, Dragonfire, Squelchbelch, Russ and of course Robbie Carrobie.
    you forgot Fat Lady of course.
  14. e4
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 13:56
    Originally posted by MrHand
    you forgot Fat Lady of course.
    No - he is just a guy who wear womens clothes.
    a trannserver...a trainvis...transvecto...a strange person.

Oh by the way Fat Lady Post card arrived OK at Bells. Cheers.
    You could have picked a chess theme, or The Beatles or
    a funny rude one. You are getting it slagged on the Corner.

(the Corner this week has funnily enough a female angle - will post tonight).

Why does Friday afternoon go so slow?
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 14:04
    Oh by the way Fat Lady Post card arrived OK at Bells. Cheers.
    You could have picked a chess theme, or The Beatles or
    a funny rude one. You are getting it slagged on the Corner.
    Sorry about that. I was very disappointed by the choice of postcards in Cornwall. I was hoping to find something by Donald McGill, but he doesn't seem to have reached Cornwall yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled and if I see anything that might be of interest to you in the Oxford tat shops I'll send it on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree