1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 00:17
    Does anybody else ever get this problem when you see girls at a chess tournament and they are usually so young and pretty (not too young mind you, you cant catch me out that easily) and think it would be quite cool to go up and have a talk to them but not really know any good lines to break the ice. I dont really want to just talk about chess with them - that is pretty much what they would expect, and would just make me another guy in the crowd.

So, here is my main question, have any of the rest of yous ever been in this situation but managed to succeed with the girl and impress her?
  2. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 00:20
    Be the alpha male.
    Give her hypothetical to talk about
    and talk about
    and talk about.
  3. Halifax
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 00:24
    "You can pin me anytime you like."

[For additional cheesiness add "my Queen" to the end of it.]

Urk. 😕
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 00:26
    I wonder if bishop might be a better piece for that line.

That is quite good actually, I think next time I get drunk enough in the national league I will try that one out on a girl.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 00:48
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I wonder if bishop might be a better piece for that line.

That is quite good actually, I think next time I get drunk enough in the national league I will try that one out on a girl.
    The only advice for guys involving women that has any merit is be yourself. Being yourself is the only way to guarantee not being just another guy.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:101 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    The only advice for guys involving women that has any merit is be yourself. Being yourself is the only way to guarantee not being just another guy.
    Yeah, but you don't know Tyrannosauruschex. If he takes your advice he'll end up getting kicked in the gnads and sprayed in the face with mace.

My advice for chess players who want to interact with women is:

1) Make sure you've showered, shaved and applied liberal quantities of deoderant.

2) If you have any facial hair...
    http://www.britishchess08.com/photos/prizegiving/480/2008_0809Prizegiving0070.JPG
    ... get rid of it.

3) Try to smarten yourself up a bit. Wear a proper shirt instead of a t-shirt, make sure your socks match and are less than a week old, trim your nasal hair and cut your fingernails.

4) If they are chess players too then don't be afraid to talk to them about chess. It's what they are interested in and it's one of the few things you know anything about.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:121 edit
    "So, do you like Eastleigh?"

or

"That George Bush is some winker, eh?

or

"You look board, wanna catch a pub?" (Wait, that was a chess reference - dangit!)

This is hard. Chess pickup lines are so much easier! 😛

"c4?"
  8. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:18
    Hmmm, I've never been in that situation because the last time I was at an OTB tournament, I was in middle school and too afraid to talk to any girls that I didn't already know.

Best advice I can think of is stick to something that is natural rather than contrived. Chess is not such a bad thing because it seems innocuous. The thing is not to come up with some clever line, the thing is to get a conversation started.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:212 edits
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yeah, but you don't know Tyrannosauruschex. If he takes your advice he'll end up getting kicked in the gnads and sprayed in the face with mace.

My advice for chess players who want to interact with women is:

1) Make sure you've showered, shaved and applied liberal quantities of deoderant.

http://www.britishchess08 . It's what they are interested in and it's one of the few things you know anything about.
    I still stand by my advice. I know that he has a dirty little mind and if he stays himself he'll find a girl that at least can tolerate him instead of one that might not take the action described by you sooner they'll just do so later. I also believe that most women can tell when you're faking so you might as well be yourself especially if you are a crappy actor

Edit: I like that hygiene part though and would like to add brushing your teeth and tongue thoroughly and use mouth wash.... But all that should be something that is habit that is done for yourself and not just to pick up a girl.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:29
    What do think about the theory that men who haven't had the pleasure of female company for a long time give off "desperation waves", which drive women away? Whenever I've been in a relationship I've had no trouble whatsoever chatting to (other) attractive women and now that I am happily married I have to take out injunction orders to stop the beautiful single women from disturbing me all the time.
  11. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:38
    Originally posted by tomtom232

http://www.britishchess08.com/photos/p ...[text shortened]... ur socks match and are less than a week old, trim your nasal hair and cut your fingernails.

Nix to that advice...

both of them 😕
  12. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:39
    What do think about the theory that men who haven't had the pleasure of female company for a long time give off "desperation waves", which drive women away? Whenever I've been in a relationship I've had no trouble whatsoever chatting to (other) attractive women and now that I am happily married I have to take out injunction orders to stop the beautiful single women from disturbing me all the time.
    Desperation is a problem, yep, but that has nothing to do with being yourself.

Be Hugh Heffner for a day.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:58
    You could always just wear certain body sprays that have pheromones in them.
  14. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 02:07
    Tell her you'd love to GROB her G.....6 ?

just be yourself, talk chess, then slowly change the subject.
  15. e4
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 02:19
    Hi T.Rex & Fat Lady - two out of two at congress's - 100% success rate.
    (could have been higher but I was there to play chess)
    You need charisma - that's one thing you cannot get from a book.

Oh and don't tell them you play the London System -
    You'll never get laid that way. The London System and zilch charisma
    kind of go hand in hand.

Go to our private club forum and see how it's done.
    (though names and pleasant details will be with held. I do not kiss and tell).

Don't want to discuss it on here - kids present.

I will add this though - go for it - do not sit back and oggle.
    Knock backs are like losses - you'll soon learn.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree