Chess improvement after 40?

Chess improvement after 40?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
04 Jun 19

New here ๐Ÿ™‚
On the internet I maintain a chess rating of 1650
Can I expect improvement now that I just turned 40 years old?
I just bought an old book called "The art of chess" by James Mason
It is loaded with endgames and middlegame combinations and an outdated section on openings.
I will spend the rest of the year setting up the positions on my chess set and trying hard to solve and improve but can I expect any results?
It would be my first time studying chess โ˜น๏ธ

E

Moves
04 Jun 19

@chessbeer

I am no expert but perhaps it has to with how good you were when you were younger. How much did you not understand. I am 50 and am much better than I was at 40 but I started playing when I was 38.

c

Moves
04 Jun 19

I started in my early 20's and I was brutal.
I still make blunders on a consistent basis.
Can a 40 year old mind absorb chess to the point of playing at the 1800 level?

E

Moves
04 Jun 19

@chessbeer

Did you have an official rating?

I read 1800 was possible for anyone given enough work and coaching.

c

Moves
04 Jun 19

No just a 1650 average online against opponents ranging from 1500 to 2000.
I spend a couple minutes for each move like a real game.
I don't spend days on a move.
There isn't much chess where I am from and traveling to weekend tournaments to get an official rating is not financially economical.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
04 Jun 19

@chessbeer said
New here ๐Ÿ™‚
It is loaded with endgames and middlegame combinations and an outdated section on openings.
I will spend the rest of the year setting up the positions on my chess set and trying hard to solve and improve but can I expect any results?

The short answer is "yes" if you balance your study and competition. It would also help to keep your game load on the low side, so you have time to analyze each position deeper.

Best of luck ๐Ÿ™‚

รœber-Nerd

Moves
05 Jun 19
1 edit

@chessbeer said
New here ๐Ÿ™‚
I'm 64, still learning, and stronger than I was when I was 17 and had a USCF rating of 1750. I'm not referring to my rating at RHP; I have played people OTB with current and valid ELO ratings and I'm definitely stronger now than when I was 17.

The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
05 Jun 19

@moonbus said
I'm 64, still learning, and stronger than I was when I was 17 and had a USCF rating of 1750. I'm not referring to my rating at RHP; I have played people OTB with current and valid ELO ratings and I'm definitely stronger now than when I was 17.

The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
OMG - We're the same age.

The day you stop learning is the day you start dying. - One of my favorite sayings as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

รœber-Nerd

Moves
05 Jun 19

@mchill said
OMG - We're the same age.

The day you stop learning is the day you start dying. - One of my favorite sayings as well. ๐Ÿ™‚
See, there is life after 40 !

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Jun 19

@moonbus said
See, there is life after 40 !
Screw FORTY. What about EIGHTY?๐Ÿ™‚

E

Moves
05 Jun 19
1 edit

@chessbeer said
No just a 1650 average online against opponents ranging from 1500 to 2000.
I spend a couple minutes for each move like a real game.
I don't spend days on a move.
There isn't much chess where I am from and traveling to weekend tournaments to get an official rating is not financially economical.
When I was 38 I got brutalized. My first chess thread had the title..Getting my butt kicked playing chess on line...my FICS rating got into the 600s. My goal was to be able to beat a 900.

Today I beat a 1650 on chess 24. He had me down then he got lazy.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
06 Jun 19

@sonhouse said
Screw FORTY. What about EIGHTY?๐Ÿ™‚
I’ll let you know if I make it that far.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
06 Jun 19

@eladar said
When I was 38 I got brutalized. My first chess thread had the title..Getting my butt kicked playing chess on line...my FICS rating got into the 600s. My goal was to be able to beat a 900.

Today I beat a 1650 on chess 24. He had me down then he got lazy.
Your goal in chess is to be defeated by stronger and stronger players.

E

Moves
06 Jun 19

@moonbus

Well perhaps it is just to understand the game better.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Jun 19
1 edit

I don't know the answer to that....I played some in my teens...didn't play for decades, then got back into it in 1993 year after I quit drinking the year before. I joined a chess club and my over the board rating got up to 1669. It is not near that now, but have had some issues along the way which could be a factor in that. I never was one for studying much. Just have a couple of openings and a couple of defences that I use but have played many games with them. I love to experiment and try new things, have some fun with the game. I find it very relaxing playing chess.

-VR