1. Standard memberLightening Stu
    Inmate- 362436-DD
    DD-Wing..Cell 69
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 06:21
    Hello fellow players.
    Anyone got any tips on what is the best/free downloads that you can get to try and improve your chess.I have been on this site only for the last 5 years or so and I am just not getting any better.Do I need Fritz or is it Chessbase I think.
    Thanks in advance Stu.
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 07:10
    Originally posted by Lightening Stu
    Hello fellow players.
    Anyone got any tips on what is the best/free downloads that you can get to try and improve your chess.I have been on this site only for the last 5 years or so and I am just not getting any better.Do I need Fritz or is it Chessbase I think.
    Thanks in advance Stu.
    I'd suggest reading a general instructional book. There are a lot to choose from, here is a small list that might help..

http://www.chessarea.com/chess-instructions/chess-instructions-for-beginners.html

I read Chernov when i was 13/1400 and improved to 16/1700 in a few months. I'd recommend it as you play through whole games and the commentary is very good.

Apart from that, maybe try doing some tactics training before you play for real. This site is great ..

www.chesstempo.com

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree